stock fox shocks life?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Old thread but is a search item.

Street only 30-50k as by then oil is cooked
Otherwise 30-40K should be the rebuild mark if you use the truck as intended or if you see signs of issues.

The biggest failure is fluid being cooked and then center seal being warn out.

Lowest millage seen was a 32K shock that was BEAT into submission HAHA.

Mariner

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine are at 34k right now and holding strong. Might as well plan on upgrading in the near future though..

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know mine need a rebuild at 80,000 for sure but I have to say the truck is performing well compared to one I drove with only 10,000 on it last week.

I did buy a set of front take offs (500 miles) so I am going to use those. My original shocks look like crap with lots of corrosion (Michigan winter) on the rears so I am not sure I want to rebuild those. I may do some after market 3.0s in the rear to go with the bump stop kit I just bought and the springs I want.
@m3dragon do you do any cosmetic reconditioning or just internal on you exchange program?

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The making look pretty again is something we are going to do a little of with ones in the exchange program.

Step 1 is to use a wire wheel to get all the rust and pits off.

The ZINK spray on there does not hold up well to hard condition and use. The 2 ways I was looking to clean them was primer and aluminum paint or a silver metallic spray on bed-liner.

The later would be more durable and last a heck of a lot longer. If you want to be creative you could do gold or other.

The shocks just get surface rust and have not effected the shocks performance of all the ones we have worked on.

PeteGav

Reaction score
Would the Fox 3.0's have a longer lifespan than the stock Fox's??

trying to decide if I should rebuild or replace...

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would the Fox 3.0's have a longer lifespan than the stock Fox's??

trying to decide if I should rebuild or replace...

No / Yes. It all depends on use and conditions. If mostly street then I would say yes. If you go play then no.

Again subjective as if you run 3.0 harder then DEFFFFFF NO!

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@WRCRaptor

Here is what I am doing on cosmetically hammered shocks. I have yet to find a zinc paint that matches FOX and I doubt I will.

I use a Metallic Silver Hammered finish with clear gloss. Not as shinny but works and give the shocks a nice finish. I did this to my 3.5 as they were already getting pitted and rusted. I will get pictures of them as I have to do the same to the remotes as they are getting just as hammered

Attachments

• 20160301_163410.jpg
    20160301_163410.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 131

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@WRCRaptor

Here is what I am doing on cosmetically hammered shocks. I have yet to find a zinc paint that matches FOX and I doubt I will.

I use a Metallic Silver Hammered finish with clear gloss. Not as shinny but works and give the shocks a nice finish. I did this to my 3.5 as they were already getting pitted and rusted. I will get pictures of them as I have to do the same to the remotes as they are getting just as hammered

That looks very good! How do you think that finish will hold up to a salty northern winter?

I have since bought a very nice condition used icon bump kit. So I guess I need to figure out what shocks I want to do on the rear, rebuilt stock or a set of icons to go with my 500 miles stk front take offs.

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Order of durability.

Powder coat but $$$ and time
Paint with clear - easy to match again

I just did a run and not much pitting. The hammer look also I think looks nice and will hide any impacts.

It is one of those up keep things for this level of part. Being able to just prime, paint and clear makes it faster and easier to keep nice. But that is my opinion so up to you what you like.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter