Sports Car Owners: Do You Think The Truck is Quick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eclou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the MPT tune mine feels comparable to my old 08 Cayenne TT(450hp), and 14 Range Rover Supercharged (550hp). Prior to the tune it felt roughly the same as my tuned 14 Sierra 5.3l.

This morning got on my S1000rr bike for a spirited ride. The acceleration in that makes me feel like throwing up

FullSend

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the pedal commander for sure. I have an S4 with stage 2 tune so it's pushing around 420HP and the raptor's throttle felt really sluggish compared to that. Pedal commander helps with the throttle response.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 2018 SCREW for almost 2 months and I love it. My one question is about quickness (or apparent lack thereof). Can someone, with a frame of reference for quick vehicles, give me a subjective impression of the Raptor's acceleration?

The reason I'm asking is that all the reviews made is sound like there's a big "wow" factor when you mash the throttle. I think the truck builds speed pretty quickly for its size, but there's no real feeling of thrust like you get even in some cheaper sports cars. I don't know if I just had higher expectations or if my motor is under powered. Passengers have also commented that it doesn't seem all that impressive on straight-line pavement.

Really a subjective question. The basic answer is yes, for a truck it is quick, even for a few year old "sports car" it is reasonably quick. Can it compare to 350+ HP in a 2500 lbs lighter modern vehicle? No.

What is a sports car? I own over a dozen sports cars, and my 2018 SCREW is quicker than almost all of them. I can hear it now from people, "NO WAY"! The question is, what sports car are you comparing it too?

My 1967 XKE is definitely a sports car, and yet it is over 1.5 seconds SLOWER 0-60 than my Raptor. My stock 1962 Triumph TR-4 is on the order of 9+ seconds 0-60. However my 5.0 / T-5 1962 TR-4 is a bit quicker, but then it is 320+ HP in a 1900 lb car.

Obviously, it is unfair to compare a 2018 anything to a 1960 anything, but there is no doubt that the cars I quote are "sports cars", and not necessarily "cheap".

If you look a bit newer, say a 1995 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 (this is the ZR-1, not the base 'Vette), you find the same 0-60 time as the Gen 2 Raptor. Was the Ferrari Testarossa a sports car? A resounding yes, it was, and in many was still is, the definition of a sports car. And it had basically the same 0-60 time as the Gen 2 Raptor.

Is the 2018 Mazda MX5 (Miata) a sports car? It is, in many peoples opinion, the quintessential basic "sports car". And the Raptor is over half a second faster 0-60 than the 2018 MX5. Trying to explain the Miata performance to people who have never driven one, it is easiest to say they are "quick", but not fast. And it sometimes feels fast even when it is not. The nice thing about them is you can drive them at 8/10 all the time and not be in much danger of going to jail.

If you look at the last 30 or so years you see a steady increase in performance at ALL levels. Even econoboxes today have decent performance compared to many older vehicles.

So we, today, are jaded. The average vehicle today has so much more power than even muscle cars of the past, all while getting twice, or more, the gas mileage. My wifes minivan out-accelerates many past sports and muscle cars.

Even so, I think the Raptor still qualifies as "quick".

But then, it is a truck, not a sports car. And off road it excels, try that with a sports car.

T!

wjn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The post before summs it up quite nicely.

I've had my 2018 SCREW for almost 2 months and I love it. My one question is about quickness (or apparent lack thereof). Can someone, with a frame of reference for quick vehicles, give me a subjective impression of the Raptor's acceleration?

My personal subjective impression from a testdrive:
I would describe the feeling as "smooth" or "easy", even "impressive", but certainly not with the word "quick".
Although I do not have a sportscar as reference, an Audi RS6 (tuned) and Tesla S are references and they are "quick". Not as quick as the motorbikes, but for cars they are really quick.
In my opinion a vehicle doing 0-60mph in ca. 3 seconds is considered quick.

The reason I'm asking is that all the reviews made is sound like there's a big "wow" factor when you mash the throttle.
Obviously these people do. Or it is their own truck, and not much owners dare to say the truck is not quick.
Or they are reporters, and they tend to look always from the sunny side.

I would summ up, a Raptor is an impressive truck. It certainly is.

1roadking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a ZL1 with 650 HP, so in a word NO lol. It does feel tourqey when you lay into it. I am looking into a tune because unless your deep in the throttle it feels lazy at the tranny.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t take any of this as a slam on your post, it is not, this is just for discussion.

I own a ZL1 with 650 HP, so in a word NO lol. It does feel tourqey when you lay into it. I am looking into a tune because unless your deep in the throttle it feels lazy at the tranny.

This is exactly what I mean by we are jaded today in regards to vehicle performance. And just because the Raptor does not accelerate like your specific sports car does not mean it does not accelerate like a sports car or that it is not “quick”.

If just 6 years ago you had said you had a 650 HP Chevrolet anything (stock) people would have said “in your dreams!” Today it is simple fact, not just with Chevy but across the board, every US car maker has at least one option for 600+ HP in their linups. Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, Tesla, and Cadillac all have 600+ HP vehicles, with numbers up to 800+ HP being available. In many cases on a whim, and if you have the financial ability, you can walk into a large volume dealer and drive out a couple hours later with a car in that 600+ HP power range, no special orders or waiting required. A couple of weeks ago I visited a Chevy dealer with seven ZL1 Camaros and ZO6 Corvettes in stock.

In the supposed “hay day” of the muscle car, in the just pre-smog era, the biggest, baddest, motor you could get would do about 450 HP, or maybe a tad more, maybe even a bit over 500 HP if you got one of the super rare, almost unicorn like, race options that sometimes got shoehorned in. And those cars, even the more common optioned ones, were almost always special order options, most often with build waiting times and very limited numbers. Of course, you also ended up with oddities like 430+ HP 427’s or 426’s in station wagons, but that is a different story (and a story I personally love).

In your example, the Camaro. Today the ZL1 is readily available. But in 1969 the ZL1 was vanishingly rare, with only 69 being built. This year there will be several times that many built in any one color and probably over 100 times as many, total, in annual production.

But back to the Raptor and is it quick or not. I believe no production truck sold in the US today is quicker, so by definition you would have to say the Raptor probably qualifies as at least “quickest” truck, and arguably the most sports car like truck sold. The only truck I can think of off the top of my head that was faster accelerating (0-60 MPH) was the Holden VXR8 Maloo, and that was really more of a car/truck, like the Ranchero or the El Camino.

T!

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But back to the Raptor and is it quick or not. I believe no production truck sold in the US today is quicker, so by definition you would have to say the Raptor probably qualifies as at least “quickest” truck, and arguably the most sports car like truck sold. The only truck I can think of off the top of my head that was faster accelerating (0-60 MPH) was the Holden VXR8 Maloo, and that was really more of a car/truck, like the Ranchero or the El Camino.

T!

Nice post and I agree with most of it! However, the stock F150 3.5 eco is faster than our stock Raptors due to the additional weight and larger tire size. :mad:

Reposted here so you don't have to search...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJDVi0y-9xk

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To add to Token's posts above, our Raptors are faster than the most popular race car in the world, which happens to be the lowly MX-5/Miata. Proof that something doesn't have to post ridiculous 0-60 times to be quick or fun. As they often say in racing circles, anyone can drive a fast car, but very few people can drive a car fast. The Raptor definitely fits into the category of elite performance vehicles because there is nothing like it. And unless you drive top fuel dragster, something will always be faster.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice post and I agree with most of it! However, the stock F150 3.5 eco is faster than our stock Raptors due to the additional weight and larger tire size. :mad:

Reposted here so you don't have to search...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJDVi0y-9xk

Beat me to it. The limited version with our engine will no doubt take the cake in this regard when it lands. Low 4s maybe?

Sigmoid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never driven a Gen 2 but Gen 1's are DOGS. I have two of them. One is heavily modified, and the other has the simple "bolt-on" enhancements only (wife's). It sounds awesome and looks incredible...but it's embarrassing. But...they were never intended to be street cars.