Spongey brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dawing

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. One question though, is this for new brakes or like mine that are spongey but have 32,000 miles on em.

On new brakes you gradually increase your brake intensity before you go hard.Some "experts" suggest hard right out of the box which was what I had to do when I used to race.I,m assuming everyone on this thread has been driving for awhile so you can go hard just above abs activation.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

I put stainless steel braided brake lines on my 2011 to replace the rubber lines. Seems to have made braking better. I'm investing in upgraded rotors and pads soon too.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f24/stainless-braided-brake-lines-installed-12561/

Under constant hard breaking break lines get hot and will expand a "little" hardly enough to be noticeable on normal street driving.They are difinitely far more durable and make sense for off road use.Vented rotors and high temp pads will reduce your initial brake force but are a good idea for serious towing.For normal driving I would stay with stock unless you prefer the cooler look of vented/slotted rotors.

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Under constant hard breaking break lines get hot and will expand a "little" hardly enough to be noticeable on normal street driving.They are difinitely far more durable and make sense for off road use.Vented rotors and high temp pads will reduce your initial brake force but are a good idea for serious towing.For normal driving I would stay with stock unless you prefer the cooler look of vented/slotted rotors.

Technically I understand. But, I notice a tighter/stiffer (albeit slight) response now just with the lines being swapped out. It's probably all in my head... :crazy:

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I also feel that the brakes are kind of lacking, but I think that is to be expected of such a large and heavy truck.

TBONE21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always thought my brakes were not that good as well. Thats not a good thing to say but oh well. Maybe Ford will fix it in the future. If they dont then new lines and pads will fix u right up

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Strange. I have felt my brakes have always been amazing. Good feel, they grab strong, feel more like brakes in a car than a truck. Never had an issue at the TRR. I also do a car cruise every other month and we run 100% from beginning to end. Over 60 miles of twisty hilly roads lots of high speed hard braking, they never fade.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Strange. I have felt my brakes have always been amazing. Good feel, they grab strong, feel more like brakes in a car than a truck. Never had an issue at the TRR. I also do a car cruise every other month and we run 100% from beginning to end. Over 60 miles of twisty hilly roads lots of high speed hard braking, they never fade.

And this is coming from you, did you even use your brakes at TRR?

-Greg

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Dealer just did my brakes. $250.00. At just under 20 K they said my fronts were 75 % gone? I don't see ANY differance from when I took it in. Still have a limp **** peddle. I will drive it a 1000 miles and see what it do. DAMNIT! I want Vett Brakes! AHAhahaaaaa.

BDRAG

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dealer just did my brakes. $250.00. At just under 20 K they said my fronts were 75 % gone? I don't see ANY differance from when I took it in. Still have a limp **** peddle. I will drive it a 1000 miles and see what it do. DAMNIT! I want Vett Brakes! AHAhahaaaaa.

BDRAG

You can have them. They are a meer $5000 from Brembo.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And worth every penny, i'm sure... I think you have to upgrade to 18" + wheels to install.

From brembo website:
"If you have been adding a lot of HP to your Raptor, or simply want to fill up those new 20" rims then this kit will fill all of your needs.

Stock 17" Wheels will not work with this brake kit.

Available July 2012"

-Greg