Software update? Does truck have to be on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dgt1031

Reaction score
I get messages that updates are available. Do I have to leave the truck on and sit there while it connects to the internet or can I just be in range of wifi and leave the truck off and parked for the updates to take place?

Anarchy99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I read that it will do it in pieces, certain amounts after you shut off truck and while its connected.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get messages that updates are available. Do I have to leave the truck on and sit there while it connects to the internet or can I just be in range of wifi and leave the truck off and parked for the updates to take place?

I've never manually installed updates or performed an action to begin the process. I just connect the truck to my home wifi and it will passively update.

I will say it's somewhat slow. My old F150 and my wife's Explorer both took months after updates were released to actually install and apply them. I wasn't in any hurry though.

tahoedriver

Reaction score
I finally got my 2019 crew cab 6 weeks ago and now have 2,000 miles on it. For the last two weeks everytime I start it, it ask to connect to wifi, even when it is connected at my house wifi, to get updates. Is this just going to keep happening for a few months till it updates? Can I speed it up?
Thanks

Boost_it638

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you can go on fords web-site and download the update on a thumb drive, then plug the thumb drive into one of the USB ports up front. Itll be alot faster.