Automatic Software Update Bricked my Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baracus

Reaction score
My wife went out to start our Gen 3 Raptor while I was out of town and was greeted with a message on the infotainment screen that said "Software updates could not complete. The vehicle is not drivable. Have the system checked as soon as possible. 1-833-926-3287".

When I got back in town, I called the number and they could not help me because the infotainment screen locked up with that message over and over. I couldn't adjust settings to let me continue with an attempt to update the software. I called Ford roadside assistance and they couldn't tow it on the first try, because they couldn't get it out of neutral. On the second attempt they dragged the truck onto the flatbed. Luckily it was in 2 wheel drive and parked in wet dirt, so I am praying it doesn't cause drive line problems.

A software update should not brick a vehicle. The support desk seemed to suggest that getting the truck onto WiFi might fix the problem. But that doesn't make sense to me. Software updates should not install while they are being downloaded. It should download the update package fully so that disconnection doesn't cause problems, then install it while taking measures to ensure it will be successful.

Needless to say, I highly recommend you turn off automatic software updates. Do it manually when you can afford for something to go wrong.

IMG-3612.jpg

IMG-3627.jpg

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I woulda smacked that tow truck driver in the back of the head for dragging it up. There’s a manual override for just that reason.

I’m sure if you saw him shake it off the bed when it arrived at the dealer you would have been even more upset.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Agree , turn off auto update. I had no idea you could get disabled by it, I figured worst case radio, navigation don’t work.

poor implementation Ford, very disappointing

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where do you turn off automatic updates? I usually just wait until I get one and then say yes to the install when I have the time. That video is good information. The owner of that f150 needs an interior cleaning.

OP
OP
baracus

baracus

Reaction score
I woulda smacked that tow truck driver in the back of the head for dragging it up. There’s a manual override for just that reason.

I’m sure if you saw him shake it off the bed when it arrived at the dealer you would have been even more upset.
Man I wish I knew this.... He said he was going to ask a technician how to get it in neutral to unload it. I really hope he did that.... Thanks for the knowledge.

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I wish I knew this.... He said he was going to ask a technician how to get it in neutral to unload it. I really hope he did that.... Thanks for the knowledge.
In the driver’s defense it’s near impossible to know where every vehicle’s override is, and that information would have been in the owners manual that was locked up with your screen. But a quick google search by the driver and he would have found it.

Unlikely any damage occurred since it was on a loose surface. Hopefully he got help at the dealer and didn’t shake it off, that would have been painful to watch.