Soften 2019 and up suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
In a similar way to how you would adjust tire pressure on a track car with decent tires, slicks, etc. This is going to vary day to day, track to track, but usually within a specific range. As an example I know the pirellis on my zx10r want about 33-35 front, 32-34 rear on the street accounting for pot holes, etc. On the track I can go 1-1.5 psi lower safely at a moderately fast pace, to high 20’s if I don’t care about tire life beyond the day.

You need to think about the core driving you’re going to be doing on and off road and establish base line as mentioned above. Washboard roads are going to give you fits at 36 psi and up. Honestly you probably want closer to 32 psi.

Sure, if you’re hauling a cr@p ton of stuff in the bed and 75-80 mph for long trips, crank that psi up, but if you’re just commuting and hitting up some occasional dirt/gravel and light off roading, consider setting lower to get to your base line or a compromise where your street manners are still ok but you’ve significantly improved compliance off road. This isn’t a corner carver, so don’t try and make it one as you’re lowering the psi to get to your truck’s happy place. The KO2’s have flexible sidewalls, to get off road compliance. If you maintain the door sill 38 psi, you’re going to be bouncing quite a bit.

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, look into a set of Deavers for the rear. That changed my whole dirt road experience . Keeps the rear end planted

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
+1 on the lower tire pressures in the rear.

Raptor assault instructors even cover this. 38 front - 34 rear is a good balance for mostly street. keeps the pressures higher up front for fuel economy, and lowers the back for stability and traction. 34-32 in the rear and the truck does not dance around on highway expansion joints, or washboard mid corner.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What @smurfslayer said. Ford has to take into account that you will load the truck to it's maximum weight. So that is why it is 38/38. If you go to the maximum, most of the additional weight will be in the bed. Without that weight back there, you can easily drop the PSI by 6 without a problem, and the tires will be softer and not bonce around so much. Take it to the extreme. If you drop a tire pressured to 50 it will bounce up a lot. If you drop a tire pressured to 15 it will bounce just a little. Play around with the pressures and use what is best for you and your driving.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If you drop a tire pressured to 50 it will bounce up a lot. If you drop a tire pressured to 15 it will bounce just a little.

That’s a great example, well said.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Live Valve Fox Shocks change their dampening based on drive mode. The Vehicle Dynamics Control Module (VDM) has 3 modes of operation; normal, sport, and off-road. As you change drive modes, you will see the change in the active suspension. Since you're driving down dirt roads and the suspension feels stiff, you may want to try an off-road mode which will set the suspension to a softer setting to absorb the impact.

17.jpg

JustBillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire pressure adjustment helped me, but mine is a 2018 without the new shocks and software. I really didn’t dig the way my truck hopped around in the back while scooting around over bumps when I first got it, but lowering tire pressure did help a little, and you will also get used to it. I think it is more due to aggressively driving an aluminum body truck with “springy” springs.

Steve_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throwing a DiamondBack HD tonneau cover on helped mine immensely. Seems like just enough weight to cushion it a bit. A cheaper solution may be a few sand bags in the back lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk