Should I do it? Ram vs Raptor...deal inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking for some opinions on the below deal. As of right now, I turned it down.

I have a paid for 2019 Ram Laramie with lift kit, after market wheel package, etc. Truck has 3K miles on it. I have been looking at 18 and 19 Raptors. I worked the below deal with local Ford dealership.

$44K for my Ram
$64,900 for 19 Raptor (MSRP $70,080) I believe it was $500 over invoice
- Ruby Red
- 802a
- Carbon package
- Forged Aluminum Wheels
- Tint
- Spray-in liner

I took the truck to Denver (70 miles each way, extended test drive) and kept over night. End up taking the Raptor back the next morning and couldn't pull the trigger. The salesman has since called me and offered 0% for 84 months along with a cooler and 2 Raptor hats lol!

I couldn't stomach the trade in price of the Ram. Worked hard to own it outright and would take a huge hit just to take another on a 19 Raptor. The lift package from the dealer was $10K and for trade in I'm getting about $3K added on.

Am I crazy to pass this deal up? Interested to hear other point of views! Thanks for your time.

Rapt-up

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell salesman you have to have 50K for the ram ! The first year depreciation is a killer on new vehicles even with mods.

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you like the raptor more? The trucks are designed for 2 different things depending on what your needs are.

Aftermarket add ones usually add little to no value as trades

The biggest thing is 0% financing for 84 months, that’s huge for a raptor. That along is gonna save you 8-10k depending on what you put down.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Do you like the raptor more? The trucks are designed for 2 different things depending on what your needs are.

Aftermarket add ones usually add little to no value as trades

The biggest thing is 0% financing for 84 months, that’s huge for a raptor. That along is gonna save you 8-10k depending on what you put down.

I really like the Ram but I know they depreciate pretty rapidly. I did enjoy the Raptor and would probably enjoy more and more as I got more comfortable with it. My needs are driving a bad ass track lol.

The 0% is pretty big. My goal was for them to cut me a check for the Ram. Take $15K of that and bring the Raptor price down to $50K. Take the rest of the cash and go buy another E92 M3. Just having trouble letting the Ram go for $44K and they don't seem to be budging. Their plan was to sell to the Dodge dealership across the street because they could CPO it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
so it’s brass tacks then.

Moon roof yes or no?
graphics yes or no?
Tailgate step?
tech package?

these are huge money makers for Ford.
The moon roof tracks are fragile and will eventually break.
tailgate step and stripper pole are pretty useful. Tech package? opinions are mixed, but, you do get a few beans off insurance premiums for the lane keep assist and stability control.

So the dealer is offering you basically a Rap for $19k that you can finance over 84 months at zero interest. Want to fly to europe one month? pay the minimum and head on out, pay the normal amount next month and have it paid off in 12-18 months easy.

The fact that you’re cheating on your Ram shows there’s something missing that you want and the Rap has at least some of it.

My counter? $66k even for the Rap + full extended warranty, lights, rental car included - see Flood Ford extended warranty for the “going rate” on extended warranty. These are Ford ESP, not some fly by night aftermarket cr@p.

OR if you are definitely going to mod the truck and don’t really need the warranty be straight up with them you need more for the Ram.

You two are close. Make the deal happen.

Skai

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the problem with RAM trucks, they discount them so much with rebates and incentives that they make buying a used one almost pointless becuase new one are the same price.

Last edited:

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Michael Kienholz well you could wait till Thursday and see what Ram releases at the Texas fair. Rumor has it that the TRX might be there, if it is then you could get a better dollar for your truck from a Ram dealer.

but if you'd rather just get a Raptor, you're better off just cutting your losses and getting it. prices never come down and it will cost you more next year, you'll never close the gap between the 2 trucks unless you buy a used Raptor.

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you couldn't pull the trigger on the Raptor after having it overnight it tells me you should stick with the Ram for now. I've heard a lot complaints on the tech package with the high beams.flashing at people, sensors going off etc. Maybe the Rebel would suit you better. After test driving my 2010 SCAB I new I was driving it home.

drarhiii3

Reaction score
Lots of good advice...and I’ll echo...it depends on what you want out of the truck. For me, I was in a similar boat as I took the hit on new GMC Denali...It was paid for and I only had it for 10 months, but what was different for me was once I stepped foot in a Raptor (which I only test drove for a few miles)...I was convinced and still am everyday that it was worth it...No regrets and can’t get enough of my truck. So all in all if your keeping it for the 84mo at 0%, you’ll possibly save more in interest than the Raptor would depreciate...Uptown decisions are tough;)

Beastmode

Reaction score
The longer you wait, the more depreciation on the Ram. Also, that Raptor won’t be there much longer either, especially with the 0% & under MSRP. As far as high beams flashing people, etc, I’ve had a Gen2 for over two years and no issues at all with the auto high beams blinding folks. As a matter of fact, it dims them to quickly sometimes. When I meet someone unexpectedly on a curve or something, it’s faster to dim than a human response, so I’m very pleased with it. I’ve had absolutely no issues with tech package, sensors, etc and I live in the country where rough, dirty off roading is common. Ruby Red is a premium color as well that costs a little extra and I receive comments on it everywhere I go.