Selling My Modded 03 Cobra for a Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So I've been lurking for a while here and just reading up on Raptors in general to get an idea of what I wanted to buy. I wanted to get something more practical than my current vehicle, a 2003 Cobra with a 2.2KB and all supporting mods pushing 632rwhp and 542ft-lbs. While it's a blast to drive and brings a smile to my face every time I row through the gears, it just isn't something that's practical or used very often. In fact, up until this last weekend, I hadn't driven it in over a month! I have a relatively long drive to work (38 miles one way) and having to watch for potholes in the Cobra at 7am just isn't what I really feel like doing so I just take my Sentra (with a blazing 92 front wheel hp :head3: ) and drive that.

I had first planned on getting a 2011 or 2012 F250 6.7PSD but after I drove a friends Raptor, I was completely sold! I plan on selling both my Sentra and the Cobra and putting the money from both down on a, hopefully, brand new 2013 Raptor. If there is still a 2012 on a lot, I'll be getting that since I actually like the radio stack better than the MFT in the 2013. I think the nav in the 2012's just is more utilitarian and fits with the Raptor better.

My friend has a 2012 and doesn't have very many miles on it so I'm coming here to see what the most common problems are with the 2012-2013's. I keep seeing references to the 2012-2013's chewing up CV's and eating up IWE's because of the Torsen front diff but I've never seen anybody expand on this so I don't know if it's isolated or a common thing to happen? Also, I plan on immediately getting the truck at Mid-Perch with an alignment done with what one of the forum members here posted to change it to (I forget the poster, but I have it on my phone in my notes as to what it needs to be!). After that I will get a Bakflip F1 and then wheels/tires for the truck.

Other than those few mods (mostly for appearance), what should I look at doing to "fix" anything the truck has inherently wrong with it or to stave off something that could be a potentially bigger problem down the road? This will be the first "real" truck I've ever owned since the last truck I had was a Lightning (modded, of course 441rwhp/530ft-lbs and a 3/4 drop) so it will also be the first truck that I have ever taken off road. Please, drop some knowledge on me and school me on the finer points of Raptors!

Edit: Oh, I guess I should add I am looking to get a White, Blue, or Terrain SCREW with Nav, moonroof, heated/cooled seats, and front/rear camera. Essentially "loaded" (I know you guys hate that word) minus beadlock wheels and graphics.

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome. Sounds like you know what you want. You have touched on the most aggravating problems with the axles and iwe. Other than those items. You should be good to go. Jack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDha

OP
OP
Jordan@Apollo-Optics

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Pick of the terminator? mileage? price?

3760223830_b4f04eb177_o.jpg

3708576957_16b3751fbd_o.jpg

3709427134_b8f3db87a1_o.jpg

3759432553_00b4985460_o.jpg

Bought it from the guy just like that and aesthetically it is the same as the day I bought it. Only thing I've done is replace all the fuel pump wiring due to it disintegrating on me, and had it retuned. Mileage on it as of right now is 28,001.5. It might go up a few miles (literally, it wont be more than 28,050.0 when I sell it) before I sell it though. I would like roughly $24,000 but I'm negotiable.

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome! I think a lot will depend on how hard you're going to use it! Remember that a lot of these guys one FRF really use (some would say abuse) their Raptors. The truck seems rock solid stock until you really start pushing it. But hey, what do I know, mine hasn't even arrived yet. At least we have some top notch vendors to further improve on an awesome machine if you decide to really use your Raptor for what it's intended for and then some.

OP
OP
Jordan@Apollo-Optics

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Welcome! I think a lot will depend on how hard you're going to use it! Remember that a lot of these guys one FRF really use (some would say abuse) their Raptors. The truck seems rock solid stock until you really start pushing it. But hey, what do I know, mine hasn't even arrived yet. At least we have some top notch vendors to further improve on an awesome machine if you decide to really use your Raptor for what it's intended for and then some.

Yeah, I've definitely noticed that most guys seem to run their trucks pretty hard on here. I was just hoping to get a little bit of insight on what to look out for with the CV's and IWE so I'll know what's happening before something catastrophically fails on me lol

Oh, and Netix, I have my banking information ready for you if you want to send me the money for the Cobra lol :)