Second update on engine disintegration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So what the hell is up with the camshaft being a multiple piece splined setup? Is there some advantage to that design? There's obviously a major disadvantage to that design.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So what the hell is up with the camshaft being a multiple piece splined setup? Is there some advantage to that design? There's obviously a major disadvantage to that design.

Probably allows them to use the same components in more than one engine, by adjusting the angles at the splined joints. So cost savings.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score

Likely has something to do with the hollow cams. It would be very time consuming and difficult to bore a hole the full length of the cam and keep it true and precise. Done as two shorter pieces it would be much faster and easier to keep true.

Monsoon Chopper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned before, one of the exhaust cams broke. Interestingly, these cams are put together in more than one piece with splined inserts and the splines wore down and so part of the cam was not turning. So of course valves were hanging down banging on the pistons so all three pistons on that side, plus rods and the complete head assembly need to be replaced. Also, unburned fuel made its way to the catalytic converter and destroyed that as well.
Ford is not willing to replace the engine but has instructed the dealer to make the repairs. Obviously this does not sit well with me and so I've opened up a case with Ford customer care… more to come......

Who are you talking to at Ford that is saying NO? I would be asking to speak to their boss, until you get the SVP of Customer Support. I've done this on some powersports and not only did they replace it, they gave me the next year model when they totally revamped it.

You have to be your own litigator here. I would either ask for a new motor or new truck, in fact I would ask for a new truck. Using the case "if you can't get the motor right, what else could be wrong with this particular truck?"

You did not buy the truck to give the local dealer techs hands on training.