Sand air down pressure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually go down to 15psi on the front and 12psi on the back. Have done so many times on the factory tires and on the Nitto Dune Grapplers I just installed. Keep in mind that this is in soft desert sand.

Here's an example of how we drive here: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Looks like the Nissan commercial... but real! :peace:

Awesome sandbox you get to play in AUH!

Jhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I air down to between 18 and 20 with the stock tires but I don't go too crazy going sideways

203kris

Reaction score
For what it's worth I work at the Imperial Sand Dunes in California (and the Glamis dunes to the north). I've done everything from drive straight thru the middle of the dunes (honestly not the best idea if you don't need too- fun if it's your weekend trip, but risking getting stuck on a daily basis isn't fun) to the easier vehicle paths that people use for most of the year to get to certain bowls and valleys.

My work truck's tires are non-beadlock. I'll run 20psi if I think I'll only stick to the common vehicle paths, just to ensure that if I slow down for anything I'll be ok. If I get stuck I'll drop it to 15psi. This has gotten me out of trouble most times, but in some conditions (summer dry sand, low point in a bowl or dip, etc) I needed another truck for help. The lowest I've ever been is about 12 psi.

All I can say is that I've never popped a bead but I'm wary of doing so at 15 psi and below. I carry onboard air and pump it back up to 17psi or so after I get unstuck.

If you're jumping and carving on the slopes then I wouldn't go under 15psi for sure without beadlocks- in fact I'd keep it at 17-20psi until you need it.

exAvalanche

Reaction score
I am VERY new to the raptor. Is the reason you do not run say 11-13 (cold) is because of rolling a bead or because of compression issues from driving harder with a better suspension? I have run 11 in the rear and 13 in the front for years at Silver Lake with no problems.

Avmech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I air down to 10 psi on my hummer h2 and I can go all day with no problem. I would run 10 to 15 psi in silver lakes. But remember silver lakes is all sand so that's why you can get away with the psi so low.