Running board coating repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gus00SVTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
I'm thinking of going this route with the gorilla glue and 3m. How's yours holding up? Could do this for about $40 which I could afford right now.

The U-pol is pricey in canada and hard to ship chemicals across border.

It's holding up great. No signs of it peeling anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger side done. Did have a small 2" section lifting on the side but got it pulled down with some JB weld 2 part urethane which I've been trying to find.
50133.jpg

Looks so good I'm going to do my brackets too.

20161112_182907_zpsjpyiwxxo.jpg

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone doing the same, don't waist your money on sandblasting. Did not go well. Just stopped trying right away and paid the minimum. Probably would have been 1 or 2 hours. Paint stripper does work awesome though.

tikka

Reaction score
For anyone doing the same, don't waist your money on sandblasting. Did not go well. Just stopped trying right away and paid the minimum. Probably would have been 1 or 2 hours. Paint stripper does work awesome though.

Matrix243 - where did you get the boards resurfaced? So did you use chemical stripper, manually pull of peeling? Up in Edmonton area.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matrix243 - where did you get the boards resurfaced? So did you use chemical stripper, manually pull of peeling? Up in Edmonton area.

Little late but I went to tyro coatings in calgary. Yep, chemical stripper first and just peels off. Coaters mention they still need beadblasting to get a course surface.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Realizing now that prep is very important. I did bead blast but apparently not enough because the brand new coating looks to be lifting from rust underneath.

robinthepilot

Reaction score
Maybe you should just get them powder coated. I had a set done here by Regina for $100. That included the blasting.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update- I got them mixed up. Driver side I had done and still look great thank god. Passenger side I touched up now starting to lift. Totally sealed, bubbling, punch a hole through and a whole bunch of salt or white powder underneath. How is that possible?

Pyro3601

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both my side steps where peeling real bad on my 2012. 3/4 or better peeled right off no issue. I stripped them down and had Line-x here in lethbridge (actually closer to coaldale) re coat them. Charged me 150.00 so spray both sides. Did a bang up job. Two years later still solid as the day I got them back

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both my side steps where peeling real bad on my 2012. 3/4 or better peeled right off no issue. I stripped them down and had Line-x here in lethbridge (actually closer to coaldale) re coat them. Charged me 150.00 so spray both sides. Did a bang up job. Two years later still solid as the day I got them back
That is extremely cheap.