Running board coating repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that's it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.
I'm thinking of going this route with the gorilla glue and 3m. How's yours holding up? Could do this for about $40 which I could afford right now.

The U-pol is pricey in canada and hard to ship chemicals across border.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still trying to think it through so I don't screw anything up. Body shop place I go to said I can use this epoxy primer for prep then do an aerosol line-x spray. Then recommended a 2 part urethane to bond and pull down the lifted area, except their stuff is $70 and can't find it anywhere else. 3m doesn't have it but looking for a supplier here. Only thing left is sandblasting using a DIY local place, which I haven't done before. Have to avoid damaging the edge of the good coated areas using gorilla tape I'm thinking.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Link broke.

Well you forced me to get a more accurate quote from 2 places and they're way less then I thought. First, the passenger side I'll leave because there's zero lifting and I can just spray the underside for protection myself. Also the 2 running boards don't actually match for texture anyways for some reason. Passenger side is kind of a fine grit where driverside is more of a coarse grit, so really no need to match anyways. (I have a way of darknening the lighter look).

So I decided to strip the driver side and turns out like 3/4 was lifting anyways and a ton of powder salt from the roads up here in winter, so no point in the expensive urethane. It just comes down to whether I can strip the driverside board myself or not. Fully coated, $150 or $300 w/labor.

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Whats left is extremely solid though, which would most likely need sandblasting and that's $150 w/hr to do it myself. Might be able to do it in 1/2 hour.