RPG stage 3 install - buddy's driveway, no air tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txfight00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang am I sore from all the wrenching! 250 ft/lb is one hell of a crank!
First off, this project seems daunting to a person that does not regularly work on cars - BUT if you are thinking about doing it yourself, it is completely doable. Just take your time and pay attention to detail!
My truck is on bottom perch and the RPG kit is with SD springs.

In all, this took us 6.5 hours to do. If we had to do it again, we could probably shave it down to 4.5 hours. Budget time appropriately according to your level of mechanical ability and comfort. If you are relatively in shape you won't have to take breaks, but if you are older or out of shape, you should probably take a few.

Chocks in front, 3.5 ton jack under rear diff, jack stands under rear tow hooks at max height, jack stands under axle:

8652815676_f8a1128568.jpg

Removing the stock shocks and leafs was straightforward, except:
Decided to drop the gas tank rather than cut the leaf spring bolt. We made the mistake of trying to drop it with the gas tank skid still on. In order to drop the tank enough, you have to remove it so that you can remove the gas tank hanger. Since I am an idiot, I filled my tank before I did this, and had to bench press the tank while adjusting things. DO THIS WITH A HALF FULL TANK OR LESS.
Also, we disconnected the filler hose at the level of the tank inlet. I'm not sure how you could lower the tank without disconnecting it, despite unbolting the filler neck at the level of the fuel door and manipulating it.

We placed the 3.5 jack under the tank with a 2x8 lengthwise for support:

8651717173_27b17cf408.jpg

8651715959_d0137d2d22.jpg

One irritation - the RPG frame support on one size wasn't exact, so I had to grind out the frame a touch:

8652816460_b0a30d42bb.jpg

This gives an idea of how low the rear needs to drop to be able to install the new springs:

8652817680_0d0f4518f4.jpg

Completed:

8651718111_ff21c56f98.jpg

Ride height - I didn't see much difference in height after install like some others on the forum. This is with SD springs.

Oh, and yes the rear wheels are plasti-dipped and the fronts are not. We ridin' dirty here in North Scottsdale and I'm keepin' shit tight and on the edge brah!

.....just kidding. As I said before I'm an idiot. I wanted to plastidip the wheels while we had 'em off. Ran out of time to do the fronts because I underestimated the time it would take to do the stage 3 install. BUT, I like the plastidip look and will do the fronts soon.

Before and after from side

8658545794_f353476f59.jpg

8658546070_6d32173474.jpg

Before and after at angle

8657438817_03b480fddc.jpg

8657439171_18cc550ce8.jpg

The ride is much better and I am so glad that I did this. It was a really big feeling of accomplishment, and I can't wait to romp offroad with the new setup. I will, however, wait a few days to re-torque the bolts. I can barely lift my arms enough to type after all this!

OP
OP
Txfight00

Txfight00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me take the time to give a big shout out to Jarrett at RPG. I know he must be busy getting his truck ready for TRR (and I can't wait to see that thing) but he took the time to answer his phone multiple times on Masters Sunday to help me out.

With that level of customer service, he has earned a definite repeat customer! Hell, I already am itching to upgrade to 3.0's!

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

Good writeup! I am contemplating doing this myself.

You should have no problem - I would suggest enlisting a friend or two to help, and make sure you have a set of very large sockets.
You'll love the difference after install. Truck feels way more planted and confident.

CrownOffroad

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good and nice write up! If you can do the Stage 3 install, you should definitely try the 3.0 shock install!

Killjohnathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what size sockets?

You will need Metric sockets of all sizes, I would expect to go up to 24 or 25mm. I can not stress this enough, Raptors are METRIC. (except for the 13/16 deep socket that you need) :beatdeadhorse5:

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

By the way, I did the install by myself and I was sore for days afterward!

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you! BTW ... all modern cars are metric. :)

You will need Metric sockets of all sizes, I would expect to go up to 24 or 25mm. I can not stress this enough, Raptors are METRIC. (except for the 13/16 deep socket that you need) :beatdeadhorse5:

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

By the way, I did the install by myself and I was sore for days afterward!