GEN 2 Rolling start, floor it, and it falls on its face

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clark98ut

Reaction score
I've had an issue twice now where I am cruising along at 10-20mph, I floor it, and it stumbles. Almost feels like missing a gear in a manual transmission car. I let off the gas, and everything is back to normal.

This has only happened at WOT...1/2, 3/4 throttle, never an issue. I believe one time was pre-mod, and one time post-mod. Any thoughts?

Current mods include Gearhead Tune, CVF Intercooler, S&B CAI, AWE 2FG, MBRP Resonator Delete.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you had said post mod only, I would think it was tune related. Have you changed out your spark plugs for colder ones?

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are obviously past the point of taking it into the dealer for warranty work, so you might as well try the colder spark plugs. :cool:

I have the Full Race IC, MPT Tunes, FlowMaster Muffler, 170 tstat and SP542 spark plugs in my 2018. It runs fantastic in all modes and I have never experienced any stumbling. You can also try removing the tune for a while and see if it stumbles again to eliminate it as the cause. The next thing would be the CAI.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I believe one time was pre-mod, and one time post-mod. Any thoughts?

Never mod a vehicle with a known or suspected problem because troubleshooting becomes several times harder.

When you floor it, from what gear are you downshifting?
can you replicate in manual mode?

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FWIW I’ve had this happen to me also & I also have a GH tune. Happened a couple times to me after driving normally for a bit but getting on it relatively soon after a cold start (trans temps in 160s+ tho) - I actually had the SCT programmer plugged in & datalogging one time it did it I just haven’t had the time to reach out to GH & send files.

My best basic guess is that the tune is asking the truck for more boost than it was able to muster at the time & went limp to prevent any issues, after getting On it a few times @ partial throttle WOT was fine. I also think it may be a brain fart by the ECU/TCM pulling torque to the wheels if the truck isn’t completely warmed up or something, like an exaggerated fail safe built in?

I had read other people having the same issue stock but seems more relegated to tuned trucks.

I have a feeling something to do w/ boost - I was/am running fairly fresh SP542 plugs gapped @ whatever MPT ships em

one last thing I’ll mention- it certainly didn’t feel like there was any damage/excess wear occurring as a result, it was such a “smooth” seamless drop in acceleration it almost felt factory- no codes thrown that I know of either.

OP
OP
C

clark98ut

Reaction score
one last thing I’ll mention- it certainly didn’t feel like there was any damage/excess wear occurring as a result, it was such a “smooth” seamless drop in acceleration it almost felt factory- no codes thrown that I know of either.

Yeah, it doesn't feel like anything really bad is happening...like I said, the best comparison I have is to missing a gear in a manual vehicle.

As for being cold, the most recent time this happened, I had just driven 2.5 hours, so it was definitely warmed up.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, it doesn't feel like anything really bad is happening...like I said, the best comparison I have is to missing a gear in a manual vehicle.

As for being cold, the most recent time this happened, I had just driven 2.5 hours, so it was definitely warmed up.

will either way I’ll report back what I found out from GH

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had an issue twice now where I am cruising along at 10-20mph, I floor it, and it stumbles. Almost feels like missing a gear in a manual transmission car. I let off the gas, and everything is back to normal.

This has only happened at WOT...1/2, 3/4 throttle, never an issue. I believe one time was pre-mod, and one time post-mod. Any thoughts?

Current mods include Gearhead Tune, CVF Intercooler, S&B CAI, AWE 2FG, MBRP Resonator Delete.
Are you sure it happened pre-mod ? You REALLY need to change your plugs yesterday considering the tune and intercooler upgrade.