Retrofit light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coolhand5599

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all the mixed reviews on recon, it looks like the way to go is to retrofit my lights. How is this done? What do I need to buy and where do I buy it? I want the best I can get. How long does it take to do it?

Big Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No he didn't. But I've been on numerous forums and seen lights that he's done and they never fail to look awesome.

He's doing a set for me and is very easy to work with. He's definitely all about creating awesome products and while his timelines are a bit extended.. this is due to the fact that he's a one man show.

I ordered now but don't plan on having my truck until early to mid January so I'll only have a bit of time with the stockers.

There are a bunch of places that sell lights but his is the only place I've found that creates totally custom work.

~BGM

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
He's doing a set for me and is very easy to work with. He's definitely all about creating awesome products and while his timelines are a bit extended.. this is due to the fact that he's a one man show.

I ordered now but don't plan on having my truck until early to mid January so I'll only have a bit of time with the stockers.

There are a bunch of places that sell lights but his is the only place I've found that creates totally custom work.

~BGM

Yeah...I'm definitely going to get a sweet pair of headlights from him one of these days. I'm running HIDs in my halogen headlights right now and it's okay with my truck, but with an F-150 that has the low/high in one bulb, that'd be blinding to everyone on the road.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Could you elaborate on this?

My stock lights on my Titan look like this.
Thumbnail.ashx

The low beam bulb is in the larger housing and is more focused. The high beam bulb is is in the smaller circular housing and is a very broad light. It's not focused at all.

Now look at the Ford headlight.
2011-Ford-F-150-Harley-Davidson-Headlight-500x305.jpg

The low beam and high beam are all in one bulb. So when you put an HID in there, that's 5x brighter than a standard halogen bulb, the light will be scattered in all directions and be blinding because it lacks focus.

The titan low beam, even with an HID bulb will be very bright, but still focused.

Perhaps this will help.

Titan vs. F-150
19307d1135935649-jdm-hid-titan-review-img_0227.jpg
pics+016.jpg

Hope that helps, that's the best that I could explain it.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It certainly does help and thank you.

So it would be fine if I was just running with the Hi/Low on Low 99% of the time and then using the Hi to just flash someone, right?