RetraxPro XR - how is it off road?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe A

Reaction score
I have the RetraxPro XR on my new 2020 Raptor. Has anyone done aggressive off-roading with this cover? I'm starting to have nightmares of it coming loose while hitting the trail hard.

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think any real aggressive offroading done, and you need to look at welded frames. These covers can only handle so much abuse.

That being said: mine survived an 8-day overlanding trip. There were some times I was driving 60mph through dirt fields and bouncing pretty hard, and I also did a long 3-hour stretch through a very rocky mountain pass that shook the **** out of the truck for a solid 3-hours. I was pretty sure all the vibration was going to work loose my cover, rack, and accessories. Everything held up fine and remained tight and in place.

Pics and comments about that trip here:

Last edited:

GhostRHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Retrax Pro XR, FrontRunner crossbars, and rooftop tent mounted in rear. Not sure what "aggressive" offroading means. If you mean high speed jumps and desert running, unless something is bolted or welded to the frame its only going to handle so much. but if you mean overlanding, and a little rock crawling it does just fine. I was on a trip and got caught up in a Hurricane and it handled the high winds and mild rock crawling just fine.

Attachments

• iKamper closed.jpg
    iKamper closed.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 20

kishorejoseph

Reaction score
That's all pretty good to hear. I'm in the category of overlanding or whatever you want to call it so I figure I'll be just fine as well.

I think any real aggressive offroading done, and you need to look at welded frames. These covers can only handle so much abuse.

That being said: mine survived an 8-day overlanding trip. There were some times I was driving 60mph through dirt fields and bouncing pretty hard, and I also did a long 3-hour stretch through a very rocky mountain pass that shook the **** out of the truck for a solid 3-hours. I was pretty sure all the vibration was going to work loose my cover, rack, and accessories. Everything held up fine and remained tight and in place.

Pics and comments about that trip here:

Looks like an awesome trip! I haven't gotten a chance to take the Raptor out yet and it's really hurting...hoping to get out after the holidays in January to Big Bend at the least. Looking for routes/ideas if anyone has anything for western TX, eastern NM.

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's all pretty good to hear. I'm in the category of overlanding or whatever you want to call it so I figure I'll be just fine as well.

Looks like an awesome trip! I haven't gotten a chance to take the Raptor out yet and it's really hurting...hoping to get out after the holidays in January to Big Bend at the least. Looking for routes/ideas if anyone has anything for western TX, eastern NM.

Living in TX is hard...especially if you came from the mountains. Not much in TX other than way out west, and it takes a good day of driving just to get out of the state. If you lived UT/CO/WY/MT/UT/NM, even NV, you can usually drive 4 hours any direction and be somewhere different and see something cool.

I would look at the Ft. Davis/Alpine area in TX for stuff. It's at least 8 hours away. You could also get to Raton, NM (about 8 hours away) and that will be the start of new country as well.

kishorejoseph

Reaction score
Living in TX is hard...especially if you came from the mountains. Not much in TX other than way out west, and it takes a good day of driving just to get out of the state. If you lived UT/CO/WY/MT/UT/NM, even NV, you can usually drive 4 hours any direction and be somewhere different and see something cool.

I would look at the Ft. Davis/Alpine area in TX for stuff. It's at least 8 hours away. You could also get to Raton, NM (about 8 hours away) and that will be the start of new country as well.
Yup, it definitely is a hike to get anywhere. I used to live in VA and took the Tacoma out to the Rocky's a couple times a year. I think I can fathom an 8-hour drive haha

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look and hopefully try and find time to get out there soon!