Remove Tune for 10,000 Mile and Recall Work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need to worry about your tune UNTIL your getting your truck smog checked. Then you have some explaining to do. The dealer could care less unless your trying to pull off a bs warranty claim, then you might have a fight on your hands.

OP
OP
TXRaptor

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I decided to remove the tune before taking it into the dealer. It only takes about 5-6 minutes, so I did it in my garage just before I drove to the dealership. The trip to the dealer was short and mostly on two-lane roads, so I did not have any reason to try to open it up.

After picking it up from the dealer, I had to run a couple of errands. (Big mistake!) Let me say it was TOUGH to DRIVE! This was the first time I drove it any real distance after the 37s and WITHOUT a TUNE! It felt slow and sluggish. It was not enjoyable at all and I can really relate to the other guy complaining about the lack of power on his brand new 2019. With all of the other "performance" mods I have, I still felt like I could not get out of my own way . Even the exhaust sounded tame! :confused::eek:

Needless to say, I immediately put the tune back on when I got home and took it for a quick drive to make sure it was back to normal. Whew!, was all I could say after I got back! :D :cool:

For those who have not experienced an MPT 93 PRX tune for themselves, it is the best $695 performance dollars you will ever spend on your truck!!

tooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that tune, and like you a bit undecided about taking it off prior to going to the dealer. Totally different truck without that tune.

OP
OP
TXRaptor

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have that tune, and like you a bit undecided about taking it off prior to going to the dealer. Totally different truck without that tune.

I think it really depends on your dealer. The place I am taking mine sells many different types of after market packages on their pickups, including Southern Comfort, Roush and Shelbys with lifts/tire packages, etc. I doubt they would care about the tune on mine, but I know sometimes the decision to deny a claim does not always fall to the dealership itself.

Ckhris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leave it on, maybe you will get lucky and they decide to update the PCM

Insert sarcasm

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly you are giving your dealer/service dept. way too much credit. You get the bare minimum when you come in for a regular service - they'd only ever look at your TCM if you had asked them to debug a problem. The guy who changes the oil probably doesn't even know what a TCM is.

Chris Mies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I debated this as well, and decided not to take it to the dealership for routine maintenance. I am using a reputable local mechanic instead. If I need to take it to the dealership for recall or warranty work I will definitely remove the tune.