Removal of resonator, void warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is resonance the same thing as drone? From what I've read, different setups vary pretty drastically with the drone. I thought basically more noise meant more drone. I put on a magnaflow and took out the resonator and do notice drone/resonance. Seems like Corsa and Volant systems get good reviews from people even without the resonator.

BTW.. @HarleyGirl I highly doubt taking out your resonator would void any part of your warranty. Like someone said, possibly would effect warranty on exhaust parts but can't see it effecting anything else. I say go for it and have some fun with it!

Last edited:

Aramco Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked my local Ford stealership about exhaust mods before I did mine...they said that as long as the manifolds and cats are not touched...the warranty is not affected. So...take that as you wish...each stealership could be different.

As for "resonance" and "drone"...well...maybe I'm just a deaf old bastard who has been running loud V8's for my entire life...but I have no idea what either of those words refers to.

Once you "un-cork" a V8 by freeing up the restrictions imposed by the exhaust system...she is gonna make more noise...and that is kinda the point as more noise means less restriction.

I have read a lot on here about "drone" but still don't know what it is. To me...a drone...is an un-manned aircraft that ***** up the enemy.

When referring to exhaust...i have no clue what people mean. All I know is...free flowing exhaust equals more power equals more noise. If you don't want "drone"...leave the exhaust alone.

Just my 2 cents.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Aramco Raptor ...I like your style and agree with you. Great point about the exhaust, as long as you leave the cats and manifolds alone you are fine. That's also what my muffler shop guy said about passing smog test too.

I see your point about drone/resonance too! I'm basically in the same camp as you. I will say though that I can notice a slight sort of echoing or sort of like a vibration of noise at around 2,000-2,500 RPMs in my setup. It's not a big deal to me but I've heard others say that other systems don't have that and have the same volume as mine. I am getting the volant system just because I like the sound of it. People have said that it supposedly doesn't have the "drone" or echoing at 2,500 RPM. To me, that would be a nice bonus but it's hard to count on. I'm basically with you that more volume means youll have some "drone". Comes with the territory.

Last edited:

LITTLEELVISDAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take a laymans and stab at drone.
Drone is a resonant frequency that is caused by turbulent air creating a vibration.

Example: Like a French horn has a higher frequency opposed to a lower frequency tuba. In these instruments the sound comes from open part or bell looking area. In our case the tail pipe. This is a good thing and the sound can be as loud as you want without issues inside the car.

Because of the shape of the instruments drone does not occur. Sound only comes out the end/tail pipe.

Drone is a sound coming from a rogue vibration inside the walls of the pipes leading into/before the muffler. Because the pipes are long they start vibrating only at certain frequencies. Now you have sound coming from these long pipes similar to a wind chime. This type of frequency vibration is more easily transmitted through the entire car right through the floorboard and into your ears and at a frequency you hear with your inner ear. In some cases bad enough to vibrate your teeth.

These rogue frequencies only happen at certain RPM's. Most cases 2000 to 2500 RPMS. Right at cruising speeds.

So sound coming from tail pipe good thing
Sound coming from pipes like a wind chime. Bad thing.

That's the best example I could think of

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Resistance is futile. You will be assimil.... oh, wait. That's another kind of drone...

OP
OP
H

HarleyGirl

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Okay guys I did it, got it installed. Resonator delete, all stainless 3" piping & a magnaflow (single in/single out). Also picked up a black Go Rhino exhaust tip. I am inpressed, looks good & sounds good. I love the throaty sound when you start it up & when you accelerate. I have not experienced any drone @ crusing speed. The only negative is now I'm putting my foot into it more often so I can hear the purr. A truck should sound like a truck...just sayin'!

13terrainraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to work for MagnaFlow in the prototype facility and when the resonator is removed you do gain some power. It is not noticeable since it is very little. Sometimes when we made a free flowing system it made less power since some engines need the back pressure to make power.

OP
OP
H

HarleyGirl

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
I don't think ours needs backpressure, it sure doesn't feel like it. When I first put the throttle down I thought it had lost some power, then I realized I only lost " the hesitation". It responds, its just smoother...That's my .02 anyway.