GEN 1 Recon Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hilbilly Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First post back! Previous owner installed Recon headlights with projectors. I was ruined by my Platinum with LED headlights. Anyone changed their Gen 1 to LED's? I'm old and need more light!! Or even a better solution - better lights in the existing Recons???

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It's pretty spendy but a legit retrofitted HID setup would be best. Black Flame Customs or Lightwerkz do really nice work.

Yamazuki

Reaction score
The Morimoto XB LED's are decent, but expensive.

I think I actually prefer the HID conversion that was done on my 04 F150 for being able to see better though.

OP
OP
Hilbilly Jack

Hilbilly Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got everything that was taken off the truck by the PO so I may try the original HID lights from the 801A option to see if they are better.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I got everything that was taken off the truck by the PO so I may try the original HID lights from the 801A option to see if they are better.
The oem hid is much better than recon. Since the headlights are already off this would be the time for a retrofit. As mentioned, spendy around 1000 but amazing output.

Louisiana Barefoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm old also. My '14 SE has the 801A HID's and I absolutely love them. Not only do they light up the night, but they also do not blind oncoming traffic or shine in trucker's mirrors. Being an owner operator, I'm on the roads quite often in the dark. Nothing worse than having some vehicle behind me with lights shining in my mirror which reflects into my eyes. The HID's have a clear cut line about the top of my 18wheeler rims, and along the doors of cars beneath their mirrors. They shine far enough ahead to avoid animals. When you hit the highbeams, it looks like daytime. You won't be sorry, from one old man to another. It's hell getting old.

OP
OP
Hilbilly Jack

Hilbilly Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm old also. My '14 SE has the 801A HID's and I absolutely love them. Not only do they light up the night, but they also do not blind oncoming traffic or shine in trucker's mirrors. Being an owner operator, I'm on the roads quite often in the dark. Nothing worse than having some vehicle behind me with lights shining in my mirror which reflects into my eyes. The HID's have a clear cut line about the top of my 18wheeler rims, and along the doors of cars beneath their mirrors. They shine far enough ahead to avoid animals. When you hit the highbeams, it looks like daytime. You won't be sorry, from one old man to another. It's hell getting old.

I have to get older but I don't have to grow up!!

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 with stock HIDs

Ong of my favorite things in the truck.
I finally am see at night!!!

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming they use oem-style bulbs, you can replace them with LED’s for a nominal amount of money. On my last truck I had $50 Amazon LED’s in there and they were unbelievably bright. There are LED’s that are direct fit and use the stock connector harness

Last edited: