Misaligned Headlights…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NXTBADHABIT

Reaction score
Anyone know if the headlights on the Gen 3 trucks are purposely set to a very low projection angle? I realize these are tall trucks, but man, I feel like my lights aren’t even on on a dark street. I came from an GMC AT4, and Toyota Tundra and their light projection would light up the night!!

I went to the local Ford dealer, and they are clueless… the guy told me the lights have no adjustment capabilities. I briefly read a couple of posts close to this one, but it didn’t really seem to answer my question regarding adjustability. If anyone knows how to get a better light dispersion, please let me know. Thanks.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is not uncommon. Many Toyota owners complain of the same thing. Apparently the headlights are installed at the factory in a way that ensures that the headlights will meet DOT specs, and of course that means that they're adjusted too low. I had to buy a special ratcheting 8mm end wrench to adjust the headlights on my wife's Toyota Venza, and I had to wing it because the instructions and diagrams in the owners manual bore no resemblance to what is under the hood.

OP
OP
N

NXTBADHABIT

Reaction score
Thank you… I appreciate your replies. While I’m confident you’re correct with regards to reading the owners manual to get familiar with a new car/truck, it’s not without concern these trucks lighting is so badly aligned from the factory.

Simply put… I’m not the kind of guy to just conform to “That’s just the way it is” when I purchase a fairly expensive vehicle. I usually hold the manufacturer’s feet to the fire and force their dealers to fix my shit!!

I’m not going to do their job for them… iE… “read the manual” and tell them how to fix my truck. No disrespect but *******!! Why do we all need to read every word of the owners manual to keep the DEALERS worthless service advisors in check? I’ve personally got better shit to do!

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2023 headlights were pointed straight down at the ground. A phillips screwdriver and 5 minutes later and they're fixed.

I agree with not having to fixing something the manufacturer/dealer might be responsible for, but for something this simple I'd rather not waste my time waiting for the service tech to finish the job. Any dealer service experience I've had is an hour minimum, usually two hours. I don't have time for that when the fix is so easy.

But I get your point.

OP
OP
N

NXTBADHABIT

Reaction score
My 2023 headlights were pointed straight down at the ground. A phillips screwdriver and 5 minutes later and they're fixed.

I agree with not having to fixing something the manufacturer/dealer might be responsible for, but for something this simple I'd rather not waste my time waiting for the service tech to finish the job. Any dealer service experience I've had is an hour minimum, usually two hours. I don't have time for that when the fix is so easy.

But I get your point.
Very much appreciate your reply. I’ll take a look at it for sure.

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a procedure to get them aligned correctly, such as a specific distance from a wall and specific measurements. I didn't do any of that.

I parked my wife's car at the end of the driveway with the lights shining on the garage door. Marked the top of the beam cutoff with a piece of paint's tape. Parked my truck at the same spot and started turning the screwdriver. It takes less than 5 minutes.

Here are some pics

IMG_4048.jpeg
IMG_4047.jpeg

OP
OP
N

NXTBADHABIT

Reaction score
There is a procedure to get them aligned correctly, such as a specific distance from a wall and specific measurements. I didn't do any of that.

I parked my wife's car at the end of the driveway with the lights shining on the garage door. Marked the top of the beam cutoff with a piece of paint's tape. Parked my truck at the same spot and started turning the screwdriver. It takes less than 5 minutes.

Here are some pics

View attachment 426265
View attachment 426266
Thank you very much for that, I really appreciate it.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone know if the headlights on the Gen 3 trucks are purposely set to a very low projection angle? I realize these are tall trucks, but man, I feel like my lights aren’t even on on a dark street. I came from an GMC AT4, and Toyota Tundra and their light projection would light up the night!!

I went to the local Ford dealer, and they are clueless… the guy told me the lights have no adjustment capabilities. I briefly read a couple of posts close to this one, but it didn’t really seem to answer my question regarding adjustability. If anyone knows how to get a better light dispersion, please let me know. Thanks.
Thank you… I appreciate your replies. While I’m confident you’re correct with regards to reading the owners manual to get familiar with a new car/truck, it’s not without concern these trucks lighting is so badly aligned from the factory.

Simply put… I’m not the kind of guy to just conform to “That’s just the way it is” when I purchase a fairly expensive vehicle. I usually hold the manufacturer’s feet to the fire and force their dealers to fix my shit!!

I’m not going to do their job for them… iE… “read the manual” and tell them how to fix my truck. No disrespect but *******!! Why do we all need to read every word of the owners manual to keep the DEALERS worthless service advisors in check? I’ve personally got better shit to do!
@NXTBADHABIT
You wanted to know how to get better light dispersion in your first post. We gave you the information. If you got better shit to do, dont come online asking for information on how your truck works. We got better shit to do then find information for someone that doesnt have the time to bother.

OP
OP
N

NXTBADHABIT

Reaction score
@NXTBADHABIT
You wanted to know how to get better light dispersion in your first post. We gave you the information. If you got better shit to do, dont come online asking for information on how your truck works. We got better shit to do then find information for someone that doesnt have the time to bother.
What’s your problem, Dude? If you go to each thread to”father” every poster about reading their owners manual, IDGF… but leave me out of your grouchy old man replies.

This is a public forum where people ask questions about their cars/trucks and should be looked at as such. If you don’t like the thread, pass it on by… but I get so tired of the smart ass standard replies of “did you read the owners manual” from guys like you. The poster above you gave a super simple answer, which was appreciated… as was your initial reply.