Reasons to not tune your Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregger

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say tune the hell out of it , i make more money doing cash engines than warranty.Have one in shop with melted pistons .Owner tuned the shit out of it.Owner now has voided powertrain warranty, now responsible for all diag including teardown plus labor to install longblock now without any warranty on new engine,plus cost of new engine.Hope he has a big wallet!

Why wouldn't the new motor have a warranty (assuming he took the tune off)?

What's the cost looking like on a job like that?

Nick11

Reaction score
Why wouldn't the new motor have a warranty (assuming he took the tune off)?

What's the cost looking like on a job like that?

Ford knows if a motor has ever been tuned. Prior to any major powertrain warranty work this is looked at.

As far as how much this cost I will let him answer, but I would imagine your in the $10-18k range....

Gregger

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford knows if a motor has ever been tuned. Prior to any major powertrain warranty work this is looked at.

As far as how much this cost I will let him answer, but I would imagine your in the $10-18k range....

I realize they'll know if the damaged motor was tuned, but if he paid out of pocket for a new one, and went to the stock tune, why wouldn't it have a warranty? That's all I meant.

Nick11

Reaction score
I realize they'll know if the damaged motor was tuned, but if he paid out of pocket for a new one, and went to the stock tune, why wouldn't it have a warranty? That's all I meant.

I understand the logic, however I am sure it's quite difficult to get your powertrain warranty back after your VIN has been flagged in their system.

If I was Ford's legal team I could argue quite easily that the powertrain warranty would still be void, as although you have replaced the engine the tune may have had a negative impact on other aspects of the drive train.

Dan096

Reaction score
Job was quoted at 12,500 ,our shop gave him a break, engine on backorder. Owner undecided on repair,said may do job himself ,he is a bmw tec.Was told if he buys and install himself we would not void warranty,managers decision. If warranty is voided new engine still will be without a warranty !
!

dd07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like first thing you do *before* tuning your car is to cut cellular and Wi-Fi antennas off. Otherwise Ford will know your dirty deeds in no time!

smoothie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like first thing you do *before* tuning your car is to cut cellular and Wi-Fi antennas off. Otherwise Ford will know your dirty deeds in no time!
They can tell by the ecu after the fact if something happens. They really don't care beforehand what you do, just when they are being asked to fix something you caused.

dd07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They can tell by the ecu after the fact if something happens. They really don't care beforehand what you do, just when they are being asked to fix something you caused.

Well, J. Brennan told us he did not spy on Americans...remember? How do we know what Ford reports to its HQ computers? But to your point, true, they’ll bust you when you need a powertrain repair...or if you lease a Raptor and return (thankfully not the case).

It’s my car...i do what i want. One can pee in the gas tank and put a tune for it. So what?!

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to be a troll, but comments like this are just silly.

The guy you are responding to made a lot of good points. These trucks are perfectly fine stock, heck more then fine. Given the tires they have they are ridiculously fast for a truck stock.

I realize a tune may give you a huge increase in HP, Torque, and throttle response. But calling these trucks slow stock is just silly.

Also this statement:

" My truck without a tune/intake/CAI was an underpowered slow dog. Just like your truck is now."

Just makes you sound like you have a super small *****... just saying...

Anytime another man comments on another man's *****, or makes some type of weird comment like yours trying to assume the size of it- makes me think you are just challenging me to prove you wrong. Just admit it, you want a **** pic dude. **** of here with your come on to me. Next time, buy some flowers for me first.