Reasons to not tune your Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I can get it back on track....

Why not tune?
1) I've been an off road guy all my life, starting with motorcycles and of course moving up to cars and trucks...and one constant - off road suspension is king in almost all situations. Live and run in So Cal where there is desert all around me so that is my passion. I'll spend money on Deavers wayyy before some silly cold air package...
2) A little concerned about possible engine warranty issues...

Bottom line - IF the Raptor was slow and underpowered, but had everthing else it does have then maybe worrying about more torque (I'll take torque ove HP) would be important...but it's not...

It's your truck do what you want and I'll still respect you in the morning :)

My truck without a tune/intake/CAI was an underpowered slow dog. Just like your truck is now.

The tune and supporting mods make a gigantic difference. It's a totally different truck.

ATRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tuned owner here.

Power gains are great but around town the truck is getting roughly 1-2 mpg better now with ID Motorsports tune compared to the stock calibration.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck without a tune/intake/CAI was an underpowered slow dog. Just like your truck is now.
Wow...didn't think that was the case...well since my truck isn't here yet, maybe I'll feel different after actually driving it...in which case I'll be back here eating a little crow :)

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't pretend my truck is a drag racer or stop light racer. I enjoy it for it's offroad performance, and it doesn't need any more power for that.

That's great man. Some people don't care and that's fine. Some people hop in the Raptor (like I did) and thought wow.. this shit is slow and the transmission shifts sloppy as hell and it needs a tune. I thought it felt slow and the throttle response and transmission felt weak and the tune made a massive difference. To each their own

Heelfan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The tune and supporting mods make a gigantic difference. It's a totally different truck.

I'm LMS tuned but never thought stock it was slow. Once tuned though you will notice the difference when you have to take the tune out for any reason. (dealer visit, inspection, etc..)

Ive have three ecoboost platforms tuned, a SHO, explorer sport, and now raptor. All three you wonder why they didn't come from the factory that way.

Micha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some WERA riding a CB900F Honda at a really small track near College Station Texas back in the day (it isn't even active now), but nothing recent. I've been in Virginia for years and haven't even been to VIR for a track day, so honestly I haven't ridden competitively in decades. The purist Ducatista frown on not riding them on track, but I still strafe my select backroads occasionally. I play with the cars (and now the truck!) more now. I'm eyeing the new Panigale V4 though. It should be at Redline sometime in March!

You were on the mazdaspeed forums back about 6-7 years ago right?

Nick11

Reaction score

Not to be a troll, but comments like this are just silly.

The guy you are responding to made a lot of good points. These trucks are perfectly fine stock, heck more then fine. Given the tires they have they are ridiculously fast for a truck stock.

I realize a tune may give you a huge increase in HP, Torque, and throttle response. But calling these trucks slow stock is just silly.

Also this statement:

" My truck without a tune/intake/CAI was an underpowered slow dog. Just like your truck is now."

Just makes you sound like you have a super small *****... just saying...

Last edited:

Dan096

Reaction score
I say tune the hell out of it , i make more money doing cash engines than warranty.Have one in shop with melted pistons .Owner tuned the shit out of it.Owner now has voided powertrain warranty, now responsible for all diag including teardown plus labor to install longblock now without any warranty on new engine,plus cost of new engine.Hope he has a big wallet!