Rear window cracked under acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z3r0Eff3ct

Reaction score
A few days ago I was driving my Raptor on the street and when I quickly accelerated when the light turned green the rear window on the left side cracked into hundreds of pieces.

Luckily it didn't shatter, it just cracked. Then a few days later my dad was driving and it shattered.

Has this happened to anyone before? Will Ford put a new one in under warranty? It doesn't look like anything hit it, nor was there much of a way of anything hitting it. I just hit the accelerator and then heard a really loud bang. I looked behind me, and saw the window all cracked.

Steve-O

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Probably the sonic boom. Haha. Try explaining that one to Ford and theyll probably just laugh at you. Was there anything that couldve possibly hit it?

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why you have to have all the windows up or all down when you accelerate, the air cant accelerate as fast and shock loads the window.

Actually, it was probably a fluke thing, a friend had a side window do the same thing in a Ford Ranger he was driving, it just blew out. Apparently, tempered glass has a lot of internal stress from the tempering process & this is a side effect. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, they might (very very slight chance) warranty it, but don't plan on them saying yes.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score

I have heard of some ford rear windows shattering when you flip on the rear defrost. Was it on? Mine was replaced under warranty for in op function. Made no heat. When the element had an issue my mirror defrost also failed. same circuit I guess?

BDRAG

OP
OP
Z

Z3r0Eff3ct

Reaction score
THanks for all the advice. Wasn't on defrost must've just been the wind because I opened ,my left window like 3/4s when this happened.

Ford said they won't cover it under warranty and not only that but they say I must replace the entire 3 rear windows as a single section is not possible to replace. They want to charge me over $1000 for it. Crazy mofos.

Do you guys know if the rear window from a standard Ford F150 will fit the same into the Raptor?

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Not sure about standard f-150s, but I know Rasco went with a solid rear window to save money after he broke his.. Could you possibly turn it into insurance?? What's you're deductible? Good luck

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is too bad Ford won't cover it, kinda not surprising though. A one piece should fit, may require different trim parts, maybe. Call your local auto glass dealer, they'll know.

Way back when, I had a BBC Vega that would pop the windshield out when getting in the accelerator.