Rear End Squat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OrdinaryStory

Reaction score
Well, my real world example is to lets not forget the weight of a fat*ss driver and along with possibly quite obese passengers. That 1000s #, plus ATV, and extra 3 jugs of water will surely break the payload and cause catastrophic mechanical failure endangering others on the road. :D

OP
OP
elking

elking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for making a suggestion that you get stiffer springs, similar to what people have done with Gen 1 and Gen 2 Raptor's with the leaf springs to accommodate heavier loads. Typically maxing out the payload +++ is not advisable, hence the stiffer rear coil over suggestion. Sorry that wasn't the "constructive" response you were looking for, but it too is real advice.
No need to be sorry for making suggestions and I’m not trying to be argumentative or rude but your response still don’t make any sense. You say gen1/gen2 folks added leaf spring to increase payload Good for them. Gen 1 had less than 1000 lbs payload capacity. This is redesigned gen3 discussion. Ford spend millions of $$$ in R&D with best engineers in the industry to engineer the best off-road machine out there that is capable also on the road and has reasonable capabilities as far as towing and payload in a perfect balance. Why would anyone want to mess with that to gain 100 or 200 lb payload. I just don’t get that.

you said that “typically maxing out the payload is not advisable”. Who said that? Does Ford payload sticker has a fine print that says max is 1400lbs but if I was you I stay below that? So if a delivery truck comes to a bridge that has a weight limit of max axle load of 32000 lbs and the truck is at 32000 lbs he needs to turn around because it’s not advisable to max the bridge posted weight limit? Of course not.
All I’m trying to say is that I always try to back my statements with facts and if I’m not knowledgeable on the subject I refrain from commenting.

OP
OP
elking

elking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my real world example is to lets not forget the weight of a fat*ss driver and along with possibly quite obese passengers. That 1000s #, plus ATV, and extra 3 jugs of water will surely break the payload and cause catastrophic mechanical failure endangering others on the road. :D
Now that’s funny

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to be sorry for making suggestions and I’m not trying to be argumentative or rude but your response still don’t make any sense. You say gen1/gen2 folks added leaf spring to increase payload Good for them. Gen 1 had less than 1000 lbs payload capacity. This is redesigned gen3 discussion. Ford spend millions of $$$ in R&D with best engineers in the industry to engineer the best off-road machine out there that is capable also on the road and has reasonable capabilities as far as towing and payload in a perfect balance. Why would anyone want to mess with that to gain 100 or 200 lb payload. I just don’t get that.

you said that “typically maxing out the payload is not advisable”. Who said that? Does Ford payload sticker has a fine print that says max is 1400lbs but if I was you I stay below that? So if a delivery truck comes to a bridge that has a weight limit of max axle load of 32000 lbs and the truck is at 32000 lbs he needs to turn around because it’s not advisable to max the bridge posted weight limit? Of course not.
All I’m trying to say is that I always try to back my statements with facts and if I’m not knowledgeable on the subject I refrain from commenting.

What about if the bridge has a height limit, still arbitrary?

Good luck to you, hope your truck doesn't sag too much with 1400 pounds in the bed, if it does get stiffer coil overs or a lobotomy.

OP
OP
elking

elking

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What about if the bridge has a height limit, still arbitrary?

Good luck to you, hope your truck doesn't sag too much with 1400 pounds in the bed, if it does get stiffer coil overs or a lobotomy.
thanks for your concern but I’m not sure where I said 1400
lbs in bed. that would be very very saggy. Have a nice day buddy.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was getting good constructive responses with real world examples until i read your post which does not make a whole lot of sense To me. What difference does it make to load the truck to its maximum allowable rating from the beginning or a year later?.

im fully aware of the capabilities and limitations of the truck And no I‘m not gonna install some after market springs made in a back alley garage on a 80k truck so that I can carry 3 extra jogs of water. If it was that easy don’t you think Ford engineers would have stiffen up the springs to get 150lb more payload?
Also I’m pretty sure I did not ask anyone for advice as to buy a Raptor or another truck. I simply asked member experiences with payload vs sag.
im going to trade in my 2004 Polaris 500 and buy a Honda Rancher 400 that weighs roughly 200 lbs less. Problem solved!
I took his point as the weight taken on trips tends to go up over time, so you could have issues down the road. Of if you forgot something, you're in trouble. Or if your estimate is too optimistic. If you haven't loaded your truck, weighing everything, and then checked to see if your front/back distribution is correct, you're not doing it right. On my gen 2, I can run at GVWR, but I have to be careful to load much of the weight, like the water and the coolers, on the floor in the back seat area. When I do it right, the truck sits level. Negative rake is your clue that the rear is over loaded.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took his point as the weight taken on trips tends to go up over time, so you could have issues down the road. Of if you forgot something, you're in trouble. Or if your estimate is too optimistic. If you haven't loaded your truck, weighing everything, and then checked to see if your front/back distribution is correct, you're not doing it right. On my gen 2, I can run at GVWR, but I have to be careful to load much of the weight, like the water and the coolers, on the floor in the back seat area. When I do it right, the truck sits level. Negative rake is your clue that the rear is over loaded.
Thanks for articulating/expanding on that for me! Simply trying to give him advice if he ends up towards the upper limits of his payload capacity on how he could mitigate that. For some reason it was not well received,

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was getting good constructive responses with real world examples until i read your post which does not make a whole lot of sense To me. What difference does it make to load the truck to its maximum allowable rating from the beginning or a year later?.

im fully aware of the capabilities and limitations of the truck And no I‘m not gonna install some after market springs made in a back alley garage on a 80k truck so that I can carry 3 extra jogs of water. If it was that easy don’t you think Ford engineers would have stiffen up the springs to get 150lb more payload?
Also I’m pretty sure I did not ask anyone for advice as to buy a Raptor or another truck. I simply asked member experiences with payload vs sag.
im going to trade in my 2004 Polaris 500 and buy a Honda Rancher 400 that weighs roughly 200 lbs less. Problem solved!
What DFS gave you was actually good advice. It's easy to squirrel away tools, self rescue gear, water, fuel, etc., once you have the truck for a while and end up with a few hundred pounds of stuff, BEFORE anything is loaded in. You will not start with an empty truck once you start using it. I'm sure high quality aftermarket springs for Gen 3 will be out shortly. Ford uses the springs on the soft side to have long suspension travel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
elking

elking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed this when I hooked my boat up. There was some squat initially because I did not have it in Tow mode. Next time I hooked it up, I put it in tow mode before hooking the boat up and the squat was not as bad.
Good to know. Thanks for your input.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for articulating/expanding on that for me! Simply trying to give him advice if he ends up towards the upper limits of his payload capacity on how he could mitigate that. For some reason it was not well received,
I think he was looking for validation, not actual input. Running any piece of equipment at the spec limit usually isn’t a good idea. Performance always suffers. If you’re okay with that, like I am, it can work, but it takes extra attention. If I had a dime for every idiot that threw 1200lb into the bed of a gen 2 and then b!tched about the sag or the dearched springs, I’d have some real money.