Rear dust shields are junk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Those aren't "dust guards" no matter what the dealer says. Ask Fox what those are designed for...BTW I'm sure those are shipped with the shocks to Dearborn to be installed. I'm sure you can call Fox and buy replacements for less than 20 each.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those aren't "dust guards" no matter what the dealer says. Ask Fox what those are designed for...BTW I'm sure those are shipped with the shocks to Dearborn to be installed. I'm sure you can call Fox and buy replacements for less than 20 each.

:agree: The stock guards are designed to protect the shock shafts from flying debris... mine seem to be made of flexible and somewhat "soft" ABS plastic so it surprises me to see them broken.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If they're PP (polypropylene) like HDPE (high density polypropylene) they'd probably be resistant to cracking/fracturing like what we see in the picture. ABS probably wouldn't do that either. It could be a function of the heat? In any case, it doesn't make sense to have one fail like that so it seems to me that maybe what struck it was the cause for the damage.

OP
OP
Q

quicksinner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be doing something like Fido. Not too pretty but it looks more functional than stock, and will probably last longer in the long run. Still waiting to hear from the stealership.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting, I'll probably make a mold and make my own set if their not covered.

Fido

Reaction score
A couple other ideas are, if the slash shields are in one piece, coat with bed liner material to absorb rock strikes better or to fasten urethane sheeting (like rally car mod flaps) to the splash shields. I just don't want to drop nearly $600 for two more stockers that will probably break shortly after I put them on. Function over form.
Does anyone have the shields pictured in fordparts.com, the ones that don't wrap all the way around the shaft? http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...m4HSnYwjZGTdVA==&id=101698251&m=2&search=true I saw them in photos like that before I got my truck, they would be much easier to change out than the full wrap around ones.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Try going to a local motorcycle dealer and getting a set of fork guards for a dirt bike. Should be able to easily mod them to fit and you can get the set for $20.