Rear Diff Rust/Warranty Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eastwood Products makes some great under chassis paints. Then I would apply ACF-50. I made several posts about how we use it on aircraft and it works fantastic!

TXRaaptor

@thebeardedbrand
Reaction score
Thanks, brother! That's good to know. Pretty ridiculous that brand new trucks are seeing rust this soon...
You can spray with Rustoleum then coat with fluid film and you’ll be good. Had to do it with my Gen2 in the same scenario. Came from a Tundra, so was surprised at the surface rust as Toyota done a great job treating the frame.

Dealer told me it was cosmetic and “completely normal” but I couldn’t deal with seeing it like that on a high dollar truck so done it myself.
Easy job and it’s still going strong under there. You can reapply fluid film every year, or as you see fit I guess?

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wire brushes, scour pads, compressed air/leaf. Blower, microfiber cloths, rustoleum extreme semi-gloss black, & Amsoil HDMP - wool wax & fluidfilm suck they need to be reapplied all the time & rub off on everything.

Hit the axles/diff up w/ the wire brush & pads, use air to blow off as much rust dust as possible, wipe down w/ lightly moist towels to ensure there’s nothing left- let it air dry and/or use compressed air/leaf blower. Use some paper trash bags/plastic wrap/tinfoil/old sheets etc to cover up whatever you’re concerned for overspray (or just be careful & take your time) give everything 1 light coat followed by a heavier 2nd coat, in a couple days if it’s still dry out then you can go over the painted parts (and everything else under there) w/ a couple coats of the Amsoil HDMP - it goes on runny but dries to a semi-tacky semi-permanent coating, best I can compare it to is beeswax. It’ll “attract” dust when it’s really dry out, but everything washes right off w/ garden hose. Is a must if you’re in a state that uses salt brine on roads or near ocean/launching boats etc

You can do this in a weekend for relatively short $$$ just plan it out when it’s gonna be dry for a few days.

If you look around in the gen2 forum I have a thread w/ pics of me doing as I described above on my 2018 (which had no rust but I just had opportunity to Do this before winter hit so I did)

My 2020 actually had a couple spots too & I did the same but didn’t need to post about it lol. Take a look @ how the frame looks after pressure wash & this kind of winter abuse- see how the water just beads on the frame?

Attachments

• 3EBDBC91-52D5-4AFA-994F-D9FA246046CA.jpeg
    3EBDBC91-52D5-4AFA-994F-D9FA246046CA.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 8C622C7C-6AD7-4012-A903-43219048670A.jpeg
    8C622C7C-6AD7-4012-A903-43219048670A.jpeg
    362.6 KB · Views: 51

gkrane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Badger that looks really nice! I haven't had to re-apply the woolwax all the time, just maybe twice a year and the touch up takes 15 minutes and I live by the coast.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Badger that looks really nice! I haven't had to re-apply the woolwax all the time, just maybe twice a year and the touch up takes 15 minutes and I live by the coast.
Well in all fairness it’s been a while since I tried that or fluid film but that was my biggest gripe on both (fluid film especially seems to just rub off & this Amsoil stuff….you basically can’t rub it off) & I’ve also used this daubert chemical co stuff NOx rust x-121B but while not runny/easily wiped off it does kinda & dry out “flake off”. Amsoil stuff been best I’ve triedS far as DIY goes (also really like Yamashield from yamalube for bare cast aluminum & the engine Bay Area, safe on electronics etc

Attachments

• DF2EC883-EFED-4524-8EF8-B3994C912CB4.jpeg
    DF2EC883-EFED-4524-8EF8-B3994C912CB4.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 11

gkrane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Fluid film for me is a great product just not for an undercarriage IMO. Its just rubs off too easily. Woolwax hit the mark for me for durability and ease of application. 100% of my off road driving is on the beaches of South Texas during fishing trips as well.

Fireguy144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have an air compressor and you do decide on woolwax get the spray gun. I spray liberally all over the undercarriage and the stuff creeps into all the cracks and crevices. I don't even get a single drip on the garage floor. It's really that easy.
You don't get any overspray ? Seems to me , that it would get all over..
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc