Raptor R vs TRX Drag Race

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You made a fool of yourself in the other thread and you’re doing the same here. Your posts consist of nothing more than baseless speculation and ridiculous claims with nothing to support them. The fact that you think the G2/GT engine was used in the Taurus and that an FPC engine can be adapted to a truck application are the nails in the coffin.
I made a fool of myself? As I said man. You know everything.

A gen3 scab was easy. Whether you believe that or not is up to you.

I read the interview and once again I got corporate suits pushing a V6 that no enthusiasts wanted..

I own a 2019 Gen2 scab. I think the engine is fine other than the exhaust note.. it's the best performing raptor at the moment and unfortunately I'm not a gen3 buyer at the prices they are going for.. and honestly I don't want a screw. So you go ahead and tow the line with whatever ford decides to put out, like electric suvs with mustang badges and I'll V8 swap my scab and keep it forever

Also.. V6 needs phasers at 54k....

Last edited:

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor R is the fastest, greatest mass produced off-road truck ever! Built by the best auto manufacturer in the world. And it's for sale at the best price that allows dealerships to charge a premium to those lucky buyers! But wait.... just because you have the money to buy one, doesn't mean Ford wants to build it for it. This is an exclusive club and your willingness to **** away your hard earned money and pay a dealership extra money for nothing in return is what earns you a Raptor R!

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because it’s a special product. Just like the prior generation Cobra and GT500 engines. They don’t want to produce the R in large numbers; it’s a limited production vehicle by intent.

Most people don’t want or need a 700HP truck that gets 10MPG. That’s why the G3 comes standard with the 3.5 that still does 0-60 in 5 seconds.

What your essentially asking is for Ford to ignore all of the buyers who are more than content with the standard powertrain’s performance and 650 mile range, absorb the development and engineering cost of adapting the 5.2 into the Raptor, and then sell it for the same price as a base G3. That’s simply ridiculous.
I disagree with you there. I (and many others) think that Ford got fat, dumb, and happy with the Raptor, until the TRX came and started taking their lunch money on whatever day it wanted.

At which point, Ford hastily took what they had to know 90% of the prior Raptor owners wanted, and put it in a very limited amount of trucks that are not going to be attainable to the very customers who made them fat, dumb, and happy in the first place.

You can’t possibly say that you haven’t heard an endless amount of complaints about how terrible the Ecoboost sounds, not to mention lacks in HP (even tuned) once the TRX hit the market.

The TRX forum is about 75% former G2 (and some G3) Raptor guys. That’s not a good thing for Ford.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I made a fool of myself? As I said man. You know everything.
Never said that. But when you state something as ridiculous as a FPC engine could have been used in full size truck, you prove that you really don’t have any idea what you’re talking about.
A gen3 scab was easy. Whether you believe that or not is up to you.
Lol you can’t be serious. It was already explained to you why it was not only anything but “easy”, but not even feasible. @GordoJay provided a good explanation, but apparently you never bothered to read it or maybe you just didn’t understand it.
I read the interview and once again I got corporate suits pushing a V6 that no enthusiasts wanted..
Once again, your “interpretation”. As someone that doesn’t understand the difference between a cross and flat plane engine, you frankly have no business speculating anything. Never mind Ford’s decision to develop the Gen 2 3.5 H.O. Specifically for the GT and Raptor.
I own a 2019 Gen2 scab. I think the engine is fine other than the exhaust note.. it's the best performing raptor at the moment and unfortunately I'm not a gen3 buyer at the prices they are going for.. and honestly I don't want a screw. So you go ahead and tow the line with whatever ford decides to put out, like electric suvs with mustang badges and I'll V8 swap my scab and keep it forever
Cool story. Good luck with that.
Also.. V6 needs phasers at 54k....
Hate to break it to you but all modern engines use cam phasers. Even your go-to 7.3 has DEVCT. Not that you’d have the slightest clue about that either.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Once again, your “interpretation”. As someone that doesn’t understand the difference between a cross and flat plane engine, you frankly have no business speculating anything. Never mind Ford’s decision to develop the Gen 2 3.5 H.O. Specifically for the GT and Raptor.
Before I begin, my opinion is just that, my opinion. So treat me as another idiot who has access to the internet.

You mention how the 5.2 in the GT 350(can't remember the name designation for it) isn't a good fit for the F150 but claim the Ford GT engine is somehow a good fit? I do realize they are different engine types/setups, perform a bit different (twin turbo vs NA, etc) but the GT350 and the GT are much closer to each other than either of them are to an F150.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I disagree with you there. I (and many others) think that Ford got fat, dumb, and happy with the Raptor, until the TRX came and started taking their lunch money on whatever day it wanted.
You’re entitled to your opinion. I respectfully disagree. My G2 is a DD, and I certainly don’t need 700HP nor want 10MPG. The 3.5 is a much more than adequate and gets incredible fuel economy considering the size, weight, driveline, and power of the truck. Ford build the Gen 2 to surpass the previous generation in every regard by miles, which it succeeded in.
At which point, Ford hastily took what they had to know 90% of the prior Raptor owners wanted, and put it in a very limited amount of trucks that are not going to be attainable to the very customers who made them fat, dumb, and happy in the first place.
90%? Making up numbers does not make for a valid argument. If that were even remotely the case G2 and G3 sales would have been non-existent, yet they’re well beyond the G1 by tens of thousands.
You can’t possibly say that you haven’t heard an endless amount of complaints about how terrible the Ecoboost sounds, not to mention lacks in HP (even tuned) once the TRX hit the market.
No, I haven’t. I own one, and I don’t micro-analyze every aspect of the exhaust note to try and build a non-existent argument as to how it’s “terrible”. And once tuned, the 3.5 H.O. is an absolute beast. Maybe you’ve never heard of Goosetuned?
The TRX forum is about 75% former G2 (and some G3) Raptor guys. That’s not a good thing for Ford.
Cool. Would love to see that data to back that up. And even if it were true, who cares? If you are so happy with your TRX why are you still posting here?

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Never said that. But when you state something as ridiculous as a FPC engine could have been used in full size truck, you prove that you really don’t have any idea what you’re talking about.

Lol you can’t be serious. It was already explained to you why it was not only anything but “easy”, but not even feasible. @GordoJay provided a good explanation, but apparently you never bothered to read it or maybe you just didn’t understand it.

Cool story. Good luck with that.

Hate to break it to you but all modern engines use cam phasers. Even your go-to 7.3 has DEVCT. Not that you’d have the slightest clue about that either.
Ok bro. Once again you're assuming my intelligence level..I understand all these things perfectly fine. Once again I never did say one time that the 5.2L should or could be used. Look thru my posts and you'll clearly see I was a forced induction 5.0 fan since the V6 was suggested. I'm also a big 6.2 SVT engine fan. Works great in gen1, would prefer it over the V6 in the gen2.. super reliable and a proven workhorse.

You're a condescending *****. I'm sure it's working great in real life outside this forum

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You’re entitled to your opinion. I respectfully disagree. My G2 is a DD, and I certainly don’t need 700HP nor want 10MPG. The 3.5 is a much more than adequate and gets incredible fuel economy considering the size, weight, driveline, and power of the truck. Ford build the Gen 2 to surpass the previous generation in every regard by miles, which it succeeded in.
Why is my gen2 getting worse overall fuel mileage than my gen1?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Before I begin, my opinion is just that, my opinion. So treat me as another idiot who has access to the internet.
No need to preface it like that. We can all have productive discussions.
You mention how the 5.2 in the GT 350(can't remember the name designation for it) isn't a good fit for the F150 but claim the Ford GT engine is somehow a good fit? I do realize they are different engine types/setups, perform a bit different (twin turbo vs NA, etc) but the GT350 and the GT are much closer to each other than either of them are to an F150.
Yes. The GT350 (Voodoo) is a flat plane crank engine, and from what I recall the largest flat plane crank engine in existence until the new C8 Z06. The Voodoo is also N/A..The Ford GT/Raptor 3.5 GTDI/PFI is a cross plane parallel turbo engine, which is why it is able to make such substantial low end torque while still pulling hard on the top end.