Raptor in the snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran KO1s and KO2s on my gen1 and of course KO2 on gen2. The new tire is a night and day difference over anything I ever ran on the gen1. I'm near Detroit, lots of snow and ice this year and I've never thought that I need to change my tire to a different brand. Probably a combination of the new tire and the trucks electronic nanny's. But whatever the reason, no need to change out the tires in this environment.

Helopilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score

:snoopfacepalm:

And once again Jake comes thru with another incredibly insightful and helpful post. Thanks for the input, for those who might have missed the first hundred times you posted this pic...

As for the OP, both of our 18’s have the factory K02’s and are typically run in 4A, normal mode. If you get in deep snow and forget to turn from 4A to 4H the truck will do it automatically (ask me how I know, lol). We live in rural northern Minnesota and while there are probably better tires out there I personally have no complaints against the K02’s. Between the tires and the trucks built-in nannies my wife (who has very little snow/ice driving experience or pickup truck driving experience) loves driving her truck during the winter. Her previous vehicle was a 13 4Runner with fulltime 4wd running on Blizzaks during the winter months and she likes driving the Raptor on the K02’s better than the Toyota.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Her previous vehicle was a 13 4Runner with fulltime 4wd running on Blizzaks during the winter months and she likes driving the Raptor on the K02’s better than the Toyota.

That's a pretty strong endorsement.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
4A is great, first truck Ive owned with a auto feature. Ran it deep snow, ice etc.

Amuniz909

Reaction score
snow driving.

I just recently bought my 2018 Raptor crewcab . I took it to play in the snow and its fine in 4A. The streets get a little slick here in Chicago but had no problem with stock tires. Were expecting alot of snow tonight so I'll know more tomorrow after I go out tearing up the roads .

DANACO

Reaction score
Has anyone switched to a larger rim and dedicated snow tire?

There are no “dedicated” snow tires that are 34-1/2” in diameter, the same diameter as our 17”/35” KO2’s.
I have a set of 13’ 150 20” Rims that I wanted to put snow tires on for my 18’ Raptor but again, nothing exist in the right diamete. The closest tire I found was the Michelin Defender E rated 20x12.50 road tire that is the same 34-1/2” diameter and rated very high for winter driving from reviews on the Tire Rack website, small blocks with tons of siping. I’ll see how my stock tires feel this winter and go from there wether I go for them or not, very pricey, same as the KO2’s

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are no “dedicated” snow tires that are 34-1/2” in diameter, the same diameter as our 17”/35” KO2’s.
I have a set of 13’ 150 20” Rims that I wanted to put snow tires on for my 18’ Raptor but again, nothing exist in the right diamete. The closest tire I found was the Michelin Defender E rated 20x12.50 road tire that is the same 34-1/2” diameter and rated very high for winter driving from reviews on the Tire Rack website, small blocks with tons of siping. I’ll see how my stock tires feel this winter and go from there wether I go for them or not, very pricey, same as the KO2’s

https://www.tires-easy.com/315-70-17/nokian-tires/hakkapeliitta-lt2-non-studded/tirecode/T429544

This is as close as I can find for 315/70/17, which are a non-studded winter tire.

Mistacheese

Reaction score

Thank you, I appreciate the info.