Raptor Financing question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have said, no 0%
I traded in a 2019 TRD PRO Tacoma for a Raptor last week. Before the Tacoma, I had a 5th gen 4runner.

Both were awesome off road. I had both at AOAA in PA several times.

The Raptor is in a league of its own and there is no comparison with the tech, drive ability and fun factor. But:

The TRD pro line is definitely not half ass. I have tackled tons of blue trails without issue, 100% stock. Can fit in tight areas as well.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As others have said, no 0%
I traded in a 2019 TRD PRO Tacoma for a Raptor last week. Before the Tacoma, I had a 5th gen 4runner.

Both were awesome off road. I had both at AOAA in PA several times.

The Raptor is in a league of its own and there is no comparison with the tech, drive ability and fun factor. But:

The TRD pro line is definitely not half ass. I have tackled tons of blue trails without issue, 100% stock. Can fit in tight areas as well.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Raptor! Welcome to the forum.

As someone with decades of experience in the automotive industry, I can say with confidence that the TRD Pro line is Toyota's half-assed attempt to save face against the competition, as they always do. The Taco TRD was nothing more than a standard trim with new shocks. Same weak frame, antiquated chassis, ancient drum brakes, and minivan engine. Same non-power seats that set on the floor, same blanked off switches in the I/P, same lack of technology including a reliable bluetooth infotainment system and lack of Carplay/Android auto. No actual effort was put into the TRD Pro line aside from marketing, and it shows. Yet Toyota has the audacity to charge $50,000 for what amounts to an 2003 Tacoma with updated styling and new shocks, with a "new" gutless engine. The Tundra is just as bad, outdated and overpriced.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score

As someone with decades of experience in the automotive industry, I can say with confidence that the TRD Pro line is Toyota's half-assed attempt to save face against the competition, as they always do. The Taco TRD was nothing more than a standard trim with new shocks. Same weak frame, antiquated chassis, ancient drum brakes, and minivan engine. Same non-power seats that set on the floor, same blanked off switches in the I/P, same lack of technology including a reliable bluetooth infotainment system and lack of Carplay/Android auto. No actual effort was put into the TRD Pro line aside from marketing, and it shows. Yet Toyota has the audacity to charge $50,000 for what amounts to an 2003 Tacoma with updated styling and new shocks, with a "new" gutless engine. The Tundra is just as bad, outdated and overpriced.

Can you call this a case of riding on the coattails of your competition? Make the truck new and stylish, add a couple of cheap new components that don’t cost you much and put it in a price range of other trucks that actual are worth it and priced at this level.

I think Toyota for one are afraid to take chances and stay with what they know. However that’s become dated. Now I read there about to dump the V8 and go to V6 TT’s. Ala Ford but from how many years ago now? Ford’s starting electrification and Toyo V6 TT. This sums it up in a nutshell.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score

After spending a week in the Raptor, I realize everything you said was 100% true.

OP
OP
S

Sparky619

Reaction score
That is definitely some fanboy horseshit. Tundra ain't any more reliable than anything else, and in many ways worse. They're notorious for serious frame rust on an already weak frame, repeat cam tower oil leaks, air injection pump failures, dropped valves, and water pump failures.

**** pro isn't even in the same league as a Raptor, it's Toyota's half-assed attempt to steal sales from prospective Raptor buyers by undercutting Raptor pricing and while charging thousands more for what amounts to a different grille and shocks. Gotta love their "1794" edition too, complete joke and a blatant ripoff of the King Ranch.

I have to disagree about the Raptor's reliability, I have few friends and neighbors who constantly complain about theirs. I do agree that Toyota half-assed their attempt to put out a decent off-road truck, but you'd be the one on that fanboy shit to think Toyota's reliability isn't as advertised. Carry on.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have to disagree about the Raptor's reliability, I have few friends and neighbors who constantly complain about theirs. I do agree that Toyota half-assed their attempt to put out a decent off-road truck, but you'd be the one on that fanboy shit to think Toyota's reliability isn't as advertised. Carry on.

No fanboy shit here Sparky. You’re bringing up anecdotal evidence. People “complaining”, means nothing without factual data to back it up. And who has multiple friends and neighbors that own Raptors??

I’ll say it again - Toyota “reliability” is a farce. It is no better than any other brand and in many ways worse. Reference the common widespread failures I posted earlier.

As a professional in the automotive industry, I’ve repaired just as many Toyotas as any other brand. The only difference between them and other brands in that they are 10 years behind on technology and design. That means less features and systems that could potentially fail.

And yet, which truck is #1 in sales as well as #1 every single industry? F-Series. That includes oil drilling, forestry, agriculture, construction, waste management, and mining, etc. GM is 2nd and RAM is 3rd.

Companies buy vehicles based on cost to operate and up time. They do not buy based on brand loyalty or advertised reliability.

You still in the market for a Raptor?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sparky619

Reaction score
No fanboy shit here Sparky. You’re bringing up anecdotal evidence. People “complaining”, means nothing without factual data to back it up. And who has multiple friends and neighbors that own Raptors??

I’ll say it again - Toyota “reliability” is a farce. It is no better than any other brand and in many ways worse. Reference the common widespread failures I posted earlier.

As a professional in the automotive industry, I’ve repaired just as many Toyotas as any other brand. The only difference between them and other brands in that they are 10 years behind on technology and design. That means less features and systems that could potentially fail.

And yet, which truck is #1 in sales as well as #1 every single industry? F-Series. That includes oil drilling, forestry, agriculture, construction, waste management, and mining, etc. GM is 2nd and RAM is 3rd.

Companies buy vehicles based on cost to operate and up time. They do not buy based on brand loyalty or advertised reliability.

You still in the market for a Raptor?

Yes I have a few friends and Neighbors here in Texas with Raptors, and yes I'm still in the market for one. Just a little hesitant.