GEN 2 Raptor bed-extender suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leftsidej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all - I'm looking at purchasing a bed extender for some additional room in the rear during trips (I somehow got myself into mountain biking recently, it is a tight squeeze.) Does anyone have any suggestions? Not sure how I feel about the OEM one, kinda looks like legos.

This is the current one I'm looking at, made by Amp Research:https://www.americantrucks.com/amp-research-bedxtender-hd-sport-deep-black-0416-styleside.html

If anyone is rocking that, how do you like it? I'm not sure what my options are with a Tonneau cover, but it's worth a shot. If you have any suggestions throw them my way! Thanks.

OP
OP
Leftsidej

Leftsidej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the OEM one-not only does it pivot either way, (when together inside the tailgate, it's great for keeping groceries, etc. from sliding around) it folds flat-ish against the bed sides when not in use.

View attachment 127466

View attachment 127467

View attachment 127468

View attachment 127465

View attachment 127471

Actually looks a lot better in a personal photo than the ones I see on google. How does it flip inside of the bed? Do you just push it inward? That may be the one I need sense I have a cover. Very cool.

Rptrchk

Raptor Addict
Reaction score
There are pins that lock it into place at the base on the sides of the bed when folded inside. It's a pretty solid plastic so you have to open the tonneau cover (I have the tri fold OEM) and it's just a lift up and over by pivoting on the sides of the bed. But, you can separate in the middle and fold each 1/2 against the bed with the cover fully on it already in the "concave" position. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Leftsidej

Leftsidej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are pins that lock it into place at the base on the sides of the bed when folded inside. It's a pretty solid plastic so you have to open the tonneau cover (I have the tri fold OEM) and it's just a lift up and over by pivoting on the sides of the bed. But, you can separate in the middle and fold each 1/2 against the bed with the cover fully on it already in the "concave" position. Does that make sense?

Gotcha. Awesome, thanks for the information!

OP
OP
Leftsidej

Leftsidej

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The more I look at it, the more I like it. kinda has an aggressive look (I know, sounds lame for a bed extender). I think pealing off the warning label like you did is a must lol.

Rptrchk

Raptor Addict
Reaction score
It is kinda beefy, and yes, I just noticed the warning label as I was taking pics and ripped it off! Happy to give my perspective.

GR8Ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^Excellent explanation^^
I had one on my 2013 F150 and used it all the time and then my 2015 did not come with one and had to get it ASAP.
Made sure to order the Raptor with one. Being made of plastic it doesn’t scratch anything as well.
Good luck!

HAPPILY EVER RAPTOR

Bat

Reaction score
Hello all - I'm looking at purchasing a bed extender for some additional room in the rear during trips (I somehow got myself into mountain biking recently, it is a tight squeeze.) Does anyone have any suggestions? Not sure how I feel about the OEM one, kinda looks like legos.

This is the current one I'm looking at, made by Amp Research:https://www.americantrucks.com/amp-research-bedxtender-hd-sport-deep-black-0416-styleside.html

If anyone is rocking that, how do you like it? I'm not sure what my options are with a Tonneau cover, but it's worth a shot. If you have any suggestions throw them my way! Thanks.
Love it. Hated OEM as it folds to each side and takes up space in the bed. I do suggest getting the adapter that allows you to not have to drill holes in your bed. It's only like another $50 and let's you utilize existing screw holes in the bed.

This works perfect extending your bed or for not allowing items such as groceries or gas cans sliding around in the bed. The sport fits much better with tonneau covers than the max hd. Love that it's heavy duty and made out of aluminum also.

20190824_102742.jpg

Last edited: