Raptor Auxilary Trailer Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i believe the power is not a constant. it shuts off after a certain time. im not too sure about the gen 2, but the gen 1 had a fuse and relay that needed to be installed for any trailer function to work. i have suggested in the past that you can run a wire directly from the battery to the the trailer plug to have a constant.

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I just wish my raptor could hook onto it. Hopefully soon enough.

Your truck should power it, it's just not very intuitive if you're used to vehicles where the power is always hot to the trailer plug. Ford decided that the brake controller needs to detect the trailer before it will provide power. To do this try:

With the driver door open and the key in the truck, turn on the accessory power or start the truck. Press the brake pedal so the truck detects the trailer. Close the door with the key still inside and you should now have power at the 7pin for running the lights/jack

Swarfworks

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2019 or ‘20 I’m guessing?

my brother had his ‘19 Expedition in the dealer a half dozen times for this. They couldn’t figure it out. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn’t.

So we were able to replicate it on my ‘19 and I figured it out. On the ‘19+, Ford enabled the “secure idle” by default. Which means you need to have the key in the vehicle to take it out of park. But also, if the key is not in the vehicle, the aux power to the trailer won’t work.

You can disable the “secure idle” with FORScan. What’s also interesting with the secure idle enabled on the ‘19 is that the idle stays constant and doesn’t rev up and down like it does if you enable it on the ‘17.

CR Gittere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the steps to make that happen I deal with this all the time
1) Start your truck, and LEAVE IT RUNNING
2) Back it up to the trailer
3) Connect the trailer
4) Get back in the truck
5) Say YES to the alert on the dash saying you have a trailer connected
6) Put the truck in Drive
7) Place the key near the shifter
8) Place the truck in park
8) Lower the drivers window ( reason later in number 9)
9) exit the truck and close the door (I open the window to keep me from locking the keys in the truck

You now have power at the AUX Plug.... or you can purchase one of these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WYXPWP5/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

and just move the lights wire to the AUX wire and plug it in and turn your lights on. while you connect your trailer.. I find the amazon purchase option way easier...

OP
OP
M

Mxsledder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the steps to make that happen I deal with this all the time
1) Start your truck, and LEAVE IT RUNNING
2) Back it up to the trailer
3) Connect the trailer
4) Get back in the truck
5) Say YES to the alert on the dash saying you have a trailer connected
6) Put the truck in Drive
7) Place the key near the shifter
8) Place the truck in park
8) Lower the drivers window ( reason later in number 9)
9) exit the truck and close the door (I open the window to keep me from locking the keys in the truck

You now have power at the AUX Plug.... or you can purchase one of these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WYXPWP5/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

and just move the lights wire to the AUX wire and plug it in and turn your lights on. while you connect your trailer.. I find the amazon purchase option way easier...
Thank you for this! I tried it once and it didn’t work then I turned the truck lights on and followed these steps again and the electric jack worked.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to use my trailer plug to power a 12V cooler while camping. This means the trailer output would need to be hot for hours while the truck is otherwise off. Is this achievable via any combo of Forscan and aftermarket purchases? I can do the wiring to adapt a trailer plug to the cooler if the trailer plug can stay hot.