Raptor and its future (EV Raptor)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honeybadger_Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I could get excited about EVs more if they get the range closer to 500 miles and get charging times down closer to 10 minutes I think it will be a bit before that happens across the board. Like others have said too though, the mining, processing, manufacturing of these batteries is as bad or worse than just filling up with gas/diesel. Then factor recycling the batteries cost and what can’t be recycled... eventually this will not be a renewable resource. While turning things into gas can be. They have been able to create algae that are engineered to turn sun light into high grade oil to replace pumping crude from the ground... you do that on large scale and it’s much more environmentally friendly than strip mining the earth for heavy/rare earth metals. Currently the only clean way to power these EVs is to use solar or wind or nuclear. Everyone loves to tout their “zero emissions “ vehicle. But that is a crock of Sh$t, there was plenty of emissions to get all the materials to make that car. People had to burn had to get to work to make your car. Trains and semis had to burn diesel to deliver your car. Mining companies burned thousands of gallons of diesel to get materials to make your batteries... so to tout these vehicles as zero emissions is a flat out lie. There won’t be zero emissions transportation for at least a good 1000 years or more...

Honeybadger_Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've wanted a Raptor for a long time and when they finally released the Gen 2 with 3.5 EcoBoost, I was disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it is a great engine and years since the intro, it has proven to be reliable, but that was my initial take. So instead of going for the Raptor, I ordered a fully loaded F150 with 5.0. Because at that time there were rumors that Ford might release the V8 Raptor as a mid-cycle refresh lol. So that never happened and now finally we get a Raptor R. I think this is only due to competition from TRX. I think Ford would have stuck with the 3.5HO and tuned to get more power out of it, but they had to compete with the TRX because it had a V8. I'm sure Ford knows that boosting little engines to get more power is the way to go, but they had to appeal to the dumb V8 crowd, which I'm part of.

I would be buying the Raptor R for the looks and the sound of the V8 to haul furniture, take kids to the game, get groceries, crawl the mall etc... I might take it off-roading occasionally but not guaranteed. So I might get hate from the off-roading crowd lol.

Now the F150 Lightening got introduced and soon every model in Ford's lineup will have an EV counterpart. And few countries have already stated ban on sales of new Internal combustion Engine vehicles. I'm sure the Raptor isn't going anywhere and it'll turn into an EV vehicle.

EV=Green and Environment friendly.
Personally I love EVs, not because of the green ********, but the power and torque. As for the green aspect of it, I mean on the ****** end of things, you're just trading a slave working on an oil field in middle east to a child in Africa mining cobalt. Actually I work in mining, and the mining trucks run 24/7. They are even left idling for days. Each has a 175 Liter V20 Engine and a 4000L (~1000 gal) diesel tank. Each tank lasts almost a shift of 12hr maybe. I'm all for doing my part and helping eliminate the emissions as long as Govt is placing strict regulations on everyone. Even the mining companies.

Question is, will you guys still go for an EV Raptor? Or do you think the Raptor brand will slowly die off? Where will the V8 crowd go? People who care more about the suspension, and the off-roading/dessert racing capabilities of the Raptor than the engine power and sound; might have an easier time converting, but I can see the ICE crowd having a hard time. I know this isn't happening immediately but 10-15yrs for some part of the world or US states.
To answer your question I would be fine going to an EV Raptor if they could do a multitude of things first...

1. Range of at least 500 miles, and not getting that by granny driving it.

2. Get charging to 10 minutes full charge, not this 15% to 85% in 20-30 min BS. It’s pointless to say 100% range is XYZ but to get there you can rapid charge to 85% then the rest of the way is slow and takes an extra hour of charging time.

3. Find a way to maintain strength of vehicle but get weight down. These battery packs can add over a 1000lbs to a vehicle for decent range. There has to be an offset somewhere to bring overall weight down as much as possible. This would help both on and off-road performance as well as efficiency and range.

Tomhorn

Reaction score
This whole ev climate stuff is garbage we are heading into a cold spell for decades to come (sunspot cycles) by the time a tesla or whatever rolls off line brand new its got the equivalent of 90000 fossil fuel miles man does not contribute 1 iota to climate the universe is a powerful thing and we are but pimples on a nats ***

thrashx

Reaction score
Personally I like the v6 eco boost engine and I’m currently having cam phaser issues. My truck has been at the dealer since June 29th! It’s a fun engine. My Gen 2 Raptor is a daily driver and occasional family road tripper. I’m not into driving fast or loud engines. Also, the gas mileage on the TRX is a gas guzzling joke that makes no rational sense. If the coming Raptor v8 is anything like it? No thank you

RadRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im on your side.. other than range, I'm in.. So the difference among states in electric cost and availability is huge. Oregon is cheap and they don't cycle power off.. at least not yet. California is stupid.. I have to have solar, back up Tesla batteries and a propane fired back up generator... Now, they will figure this out. I have a client whose main business is creating EV charging stations in rural California.... So, when the EV Raptor comes available, I am in.

FGHT ON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EV's will be great, just imagine rolling blackouts when your state gov says no charging between hours x-x, and all you have is an EV. Already happening in California, and will spread as energy infrastructure demand surpasses capability at peak hours.

Exactly - Autos and driving is freedom! What kind of freedom do you have w EV and all the constraints/problems that arise.

There was a great 3 part series worth watching on the History Channel for all you gear heads "The cars that built America". The automobile and the ability to travel and and freedom it provided changed America, and the world, as we know it. It would benefit the newly found "woke" auto CEO to take a trip down memory lane.

Railroader

Reaction score
The thing that the tree huggers have not discussed, is how is the current (or planned) electric infrastructure going to support the increased demand for electricity if we go to a high percentage of EV vehicles. Last I checked, the sun only produces power with shining, and the windmills only produce when the wind is blowing, and even then, how are you going to transmit the increased demand in power since they can't construct new transmission facilities for electric. Most of the high demand, around the clock electricity is generated by fossil fuels or nuclear

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I could get excited about EVs more if they get the range closer to 500 miles and get charging times down closer to 10 minutes I think it will be a bit before that happens across the board. Like others have said too though, the mining, processing, manufacturing of these batteries is as bad or worse than just filling up with gas/diesel. Then factor recycling the batteries cost and what can’t be recycled... eventually this will not be a renewable resource. While turning things into gas can be. They have been able to create algae that are engineered to turn sun light into high grade oil to replace pumping crude from the ground... you do that on large scale and it’s much more environmentally friendly than strip mining the earth for heavy/rare earth metals. Currently the only clean way to power these EVs is to use solar or wind or nuclear. Everyone loves to tout their “zero emissions “ vehicle. But that is a crock of Sh$t, there was plenty of emissions to get all the materials to make that car. People had to burn had to get to work to make your car. Trains and semis had to burn diesel to deliver your car. Mining companies burned thousands of gallons of diesel to get materials to make your batteries... so to tout these vehicles as zero emissions is a flat out lie. There won’t be zero emissions transportation for at least a good 1000 years or more...
Very eloquently stated. That is the truth.

EV Is just like the Kroger syndrome. Ask a snowflake where their food comes from......answer....Kroger. where did the lumber come from to build your house....answer....home depot.

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The year the Ford ever decides to make the Raptor an EV only is the year the off-road Raptor community dies until all the OG’s hold out. I will not buy a Raptor EV. I would buy a F-150 EV for daily driving but I would rather have a v8 when off-roading. I have owned a GEN1 and now a GEN2 and still would rather be in my GEN1 when on dirt. There are no charging stations in the desert BTW.

People will hang onto their gas ran Raptors so I don’t see anyone going anywhere. The Raptor R sales will hopefully change Ford’s mind.