Raptor and its future (EV Raptor)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

JSAN

Reaction score
I think some of you guys are missing the point. Of course as of now, everything to do with EVs is ****, but in 10-20years there could be significant investment in all sorts of fields relating to EV transportation. In 10-20yrs we could see significant improvement in battery and charging technology like using Graphene in battery tech.

I see it everywhere, people scoff off Electric Vehicles by saying "they have **** range and shittier mileage". Give it time, most of the big manufacturers are just getting into their first generations of EVs and they are only going to improve and get better.

I don't care about Tesla, but gotta give Telsa credit for jump starting this whole EV phase.

Finally a performance EV off-roader can have a motor on each wheel giving it more maneuverability while off-roading or rock crawling. I think the new hummer is supposed to have a crab mode, but then some people said it was CGI in the video. But there is definitely a potential.

And yea for sure I would love a hybrid V8 lol. It would sound crazy, like this Totota, Starts off in EV mode then thunder.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You changed your tone from a definite EV future (first post) to a possibility (last post). 15-20 years from now, I will be in my 60s. I have no idea whether I'll still be interested in an off-road truck at all. I could very well want a smaller vehicle.

I would say that I'm not against EV or any tech for transportation, as long as it's cost effective and easy to use. I want good range, quick to fillup/recharge, fun to drive, and realistically priced...for at least one vehicle I own. If I happen to be at a place where I can have two vehicles, than the second vehicle can just be fun to drive and realistically priced.

fts

Reaction score
Exactly. You think the military is going to go EV from diesel?

The powers that be will always have the most reliable and abundant systems while telling others to comply to the globalist agenda to ensnare us all into ever increasing dependency upon government.
You are probably not aware that the biggest and most critical military vehicles are EVs; think aircraft carriers and submarines. Also, they sail out for months. I guess the military thinks they are reliable enough.

fts

Reaction score
Aren’t those big boats nuclear?
Of course they are. Nuclear energy is used to create steam by boiling water rapidly, which in turn is used to activate and turn turbines, which generate electricity for the whole ship. Same as any nuclear power plant. Nuclear energy is not electricity, the energy obtained by breaking down atoms has to be converted into electricity. Those ships are pure electric vehicles :)

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
You are probably not aware that the biggest and most critical military vehicles are EVs; think aircraft carriers and submarines. Also, they sail out for months. I guess the military thinks they are reliable enough.
Huh??? I can see them pulling into port and hooking up the charging cable now lol. Now if I can get me a car with a nuclear power train I am in!

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Of course they are. Nuclear energy is used to create steam by boiling water rapidly, which in turn is used to activate and turn turbines, which generate electricity for the whole ship. Same as any nuclear power plant. Nuclear energy is not electricity, the energy obtained by breaking down atoms has to be converted into electricity.
Wouldn’t that make them more of a hybrid then?

much like a diesel-electric train?

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Aren’t those big boats nuclear?
And before that diesel electric. Many of these large machines were, or are now electric powered. But they never needed to come in to port to charge. Self powered. I think the rechargeable battery EV is just another platform in our journey to self powered vehicles of some kind. Weather it be algae or dark matter who knows. But this is certainly much further into the future.

fts

Reaction score
Huh??? I can see them pulling into port and hooking up the charging cable now lol. Now if I can get me a car with a nuclear power train I am in!
Yeah, I hear you, that's not going to happen soon haha.

However, what is going to happen in my view is the EVs are going to show increased capabilities over ICE, and that is going to win over more customers. And I think that's what is happening with the F150 Lightning. According to Ford, 3/4 of 120K reservation holders are new to the brand. So, the first EV F150 is drawing in new customers. Just amazing to me.

In the case of the Raptor the situation is going to be similar. Take Rivian R1T. It has significantly more power, more than TRX, has more ground clearance by nearly 1.5"+, better approach/departure/breakover angles, has quad motors so torque can be directed over to any one wheel at any level, and has a completely flat bottom, which will make it easier to offroad. On top of all this, it is going to be only 100-200 lbs heavier than base Raptor, and its center of gravity is nearly 2 feet lower than the Raptor.

For offroading purposes, how do you beat those specs in any ICE? Yes, it won't race in Baja and won't have an exhaust sound. WhopdiDoo! Functional vs. emotional. I am willing to compromise a little bit of range to get those functional advantages for my use case scenarios, I doubt it will be an issue for me. Being emission fee is just the icing on the cake, not the ultimate purpose.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc