Raptor and its future (EV Raptor)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSAN

Reaction score
I've wanted a Raptor for a long time and when they finally released the Gen 2 with 3.5 EcoBoost, I was disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it is a great engine and years since the intro, it has proven to be reliable, but that was my initial take. So instead of going for the Raptor, I ordered a fully loaded F150 with 5.0. Because at that time there were rumors that Ford might release the V8 Raptor as a mid-cycle refresh lol. So that never happened and now finally we get a Raptor R. I think this is only due to competition from TRX. I think Ford would have stuck with the 3.5HO and tuned to get more power out of it, but they had to compete with the TRX because it had a V8. I'm sure Ford knows that boosting little engines to get more power is the way to go, but they had to appeal to the dumb V8 crowd, which I'm part of.

I would be buying the Raptor R for the looks and the sound of the V8 to haul furniture, take kids to the game, get groceries, crawl the mall etc... I might take it off-roading occasionally but not guaranteed. So I might get hate from the off-roading crowd lol.

Now the F150 Lightening got introduced and soon every model in Ford's lineup will have an EV counterpart. And few countries have already stated ban on sales of new Internal combustion Engine vehicles. I'm sure the Raptor isn't going anywhere and it'll turn into an EV vehicle.

EV=Green and Environment friendly.
Personally I love EVs, not because of the green ********, but the power and torque. As for the green aspect of it, I mean on the ****** end of things, you're just trading a slave working on an oil field in middle east to a child in Africa mining cobalt. Actually I work in mining, and the mining trucks run 24/7. They are even left idling for days. Each has a 175 Liter V20 Engine and a 4000L (~1000 gal) diesel tank. Each tank lasts almost a shift of 12hr maybe. I'm all for doing my part and helping eliminate the emissions as long as Govt is placing strict regulations on everyone. Even the mining companies.

Question is, will you guys still go for an EV Raptor? Or do you think the Raptor brand will slowly die off? Where will the V8 crowd go? People who care more about the suspension, and the off-roading/dessert racing capabilities of the Raptor than the engine power and sound; might have an easier time converting, but I can see the ICE crowd having a hard time. I know this isn't happening immediately but 10-15yrs for some part of the world or US states.

Thrush

Reaction score
My biggest issue with the EV industry is still range anxiety. EV is nice and all, but having to stop at specific locations for 20-40 minutes during a trip to "fuel up" isn't awesome. As more people adopt EVs, if the infrastructure doesn't get vastly expanded, there will be lines to get your 20-40 minute wait. Admittedly, the last time I checked for how many charging stations there are, more popped up than I expected, which is good.

They really need better tech so that it's a quick stop like filling your tank. Whether that requires a battery swap or what, who knows. Range gets impacted by so many factors, it's a bit harder to plan (imo) than just stopping at a random gas station off the highway.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You're looking way too far ahead. The Lightning isn't even out yet, and EVs are barely a blip on the sales front still. There is virtually no way the Raptor will have an EV engine at a minimum 3-4 years from now, and would likely have 3-4 years as a hybrid before that happens. No one can say what the state of EVs will be then, as it's entirely possible that the environmental impacts of building and disposing of these batteries gets negative media attention, etc.

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
I would probably prefer a EV or even a Hybrid Raptor over a V8 9mpg raptor. EV will be quicker and more fun. Only thing V8 has going for it is sound. I’m Over the whole chasing sound phase though. Hell I’m still on the hunt for a limited muffler for mine to silence it. Listening to my stereo is much more enjoyable than any exhaust noise.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would probably prefer a EV or even a Hybrid Raptor over a V8 9mpg raptor. EV will be quicker and more fun. Only thing V8 has going for it is sound. I’m Over the whole chasing sound phase though. Hell I’m still on the hunt for a limited muffler for mine to silence it. Listening to my stereo is much more enjoyable than any exhaust noise.

I would do hybrid if it increased HP and efficiency without killing range. I just can't do an EV on the vehicle I'm going to want to take on road trips.

KevoUsmc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like everyone already said, we are years away. The lightning will be Ford's guinea pig for the electric truck market. The whole infrastructure needs an improvement and we also need better technology to recycle the batteries more efficiently. The best thing they could do in the short term is continue with the hybrid electric motor they are adding to some F150's that increase HP and range

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EV's will be great, just imagine rolling blackouts when your state gov says no charging between hours x-x, and all you have is an EV. Already happening in California, and will spread as energy infrastructure demand surpasses capability at peak hours.