Radio Commutations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Nex

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Headsets are on the list. So with that in mind, just the center console for mounting then huh?

ocbcwc

Reaction score
Does the Kewood radio have the ability to plug headsets directly in or do you have to get the intercom unit as well? I had the full set up in my SxS, just super expensive with bells and whistles you don't need in the truck, unless they make a basic intercom unit specifically for the trucks

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the Kewood radio have the ability to plug headsets directly in or do you have to get the intercom unit as well? I had the full set up in my SxS, just super expensive with bells and whistles you don't need in the truck, unless they make a basic intercom unit specifically for the trucks
I'm not sure what bells and whistles there are except for audio-in. Basic functionality would need to include intercom and push-to-talk to transmit on VHF. I like music on when I drive, with headsets on you can't hear music through the cab, so audio-in is a must have feature for me. Are there other bells and whistles I'm unaware of?

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
So I just installed my Kenwood and I'm also considering doing the external speaker, but I'm not sure how loud it will be without it. The speaker installed in the unit is also very loud. I still will be taking my handheld on Raptor runs, so if I have that "on" would I still need an external speaker?
Here are a few pics of my weekend install.

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
Nex

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
This is what PCI has for in truck coms. You need to have a race radio for headsets, not a chase radio.

I was just looking at different mounting locations instead of loosing half of the center console.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just installed my Kenwood and I'm also considering doing the external speaker, but I'm not sure how loud it will be without it. The speaker installed in the unit is also very loud. I still will be taking my handheld on Raptor runs, so if I have that "on" would I still need an external speaker?
Here are a few pics of my weekend install.
I haven't seen a handheld with enough range to be useful for trucks once in motion. You can have a mile between trucks to keep out dust depending on conditions. I only use my handheld when out of the truck. I would wire for headsets or an external speaker while you are installing and if you don't need it, you wasted $5, but if you do you won't have to pull everything apart again to add it.

This is what PCI has for in truck coms. You need to have a race radio for headsets, not a chase radio.

I was just looking at different mounting locations instead of loosing half of the center console.

Ohhh....bluetooth and DSP. There are bells and whistles I hadn't thought about. Looks like my system just got more expensive. Not losing the center console is exactly why I went under the glove box, but as I've used it over the years I feel like I never put anything in the center console anyway so I'm ready to move in there.

Hush Car Audio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the intended purpose? I ask because I use in helmet coms when racing. I would never have it speaker/mic driven in such a loud environment.

OP
OP
Nex

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Basic booming around with friends and family. Not a race application. Still drive it to the Starbucks.

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
I haven't seen a handheld with enough range to be useful for trucks once in motion. You can have a mile between trucks to keep out dust depending on conditions. I only use my handheld when out of the truck. I would wire for headsets or an external speaker while you are installing and if you don't need it, you wasted $5, but if you do you won't have to pull everything apart again to add it.

Ohhh....bluetooth and DSP. There are bells and whistles I hadn't thought about. Looks like my system just got more expensive. Not losing the center console is exactly why I went under the glove box, but as I've used it over the years I feel like I never put anything in the center console anyway so I'm ready to move in there.
Yes I understand. I guess what I trying to say since my handheld would be transmitting the same signal and bouncing off the Kenwood. I would be able to hear from the handheld if the Kenwood was not loud enough.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I understand. I guess what I trying to say since my handheld would be transmitting the same signal and bouncing off the Kenwood. I would be able to hear from the handheld if the Kenwood was not loud enough.
Do you have relay turned on? I didn't think relay worked very well unless everyone was on full digital signals. I'm pretty novice on the advanced features of the modern radios. Having your handheld relay through the truck radio would be a great configuration.