Radio Commutations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Nex

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Yes I understand. I guess what I trying to say since my handheld would be transmitting the same signal and bouncing off the Kenwood. I would be able to hear from the handheld if the Kenwood was not loud enough.

Which handheld do you have? I am looking at one now until I figure out the truck radio, then it will live on the boat.

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
Do you have relay turned on? I didn't think relay worked very well unless everyone was on full digital signals. I'm pretty novice on the advanced features of the modern radios. Having your handheld relay through the truck radio would be a great configuration.
No and I'm not sure, I'm still very green as well. I just figured since it's on the same signal. PCI tech support said it should be loud enough to be heard with console lid closed, but I won't know until I try it. The speaker is however cheap insurance but I just hate clutter so I may just try that too.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone can correct any misinformation here, but my handheld does not relay through the truck radio. I use it out of the truck and it works great for the group in the immediate vicinity, but I can't really transmit beyond line of sight. I don't think analog relay works well in our use case because the same signal would bounce between all radios repeatedly.

If the industry changed so it was the default configuration or if you have someone VERY familiar with modern radios in your group (and everyone has a supported radio), I believe you can have everyone in the group switch to fully digital signals and enable automatic relay. When the signal is digital, the radios can tag each message with an ID and the radio can keep track of whether it has broadcast that message ID. Then every truck in line could easily and clearly communicate with every other truck, front to back. In this situation, your handheld could relay through any near radio. All that said, I've never been with a group that uses private, digital signals so this is all theory and pointless.

Noplacelikeloam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All my amateur radio friends simply recommend one handheld. Yaesu FT-60. Tried and tested. Bombproof. Easy. Be careful of the cheap radios, so Im told.

ocbcwc

Reaction score
I'm not sure what bells and whistles there are except for audio-in. Basic functionality would need to include intercom and push-to-talk to transmit on VHF. I like music on when I drive, with headsets on you can't hear music through the cab, so audio-in is a must have feature for me. Are there other bells and whistles I'm unaware of?
Bells and whistles include blue tooth connectivity, enhanced audio chipsets, DSP........ So, its the same as putting the full system in a SxS or buggy. IT is a great set up for sure! For me personally, spending the extra $1k at PCI for the full intercom setup would not be worth using headsets, I would make the hand speaker suffice.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want range, first thing needed is to move away from the junk antenna mounts on the third brake light, those have as much reflected power as they do forward power.

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the PCI kit with ICOM radio and was sure I'd need the external speaker, but the only time I've ever wanted that was if I was outside my truck hanging out and wanted to hear something. Most of the time I leave the volume about halfway up with the console lid closed and have absolutely no problem hearing anything.

I used a handheld Baofeng radio and longer antennae for years and they work, but definitely dont have the range of a 45W+ radio

I can't fathom the reason for headsets in a Raptor unless it's been FULLY prerunner-ed out with solid mounted cab, bypasses and loud exhaust. Unless you just want to spend money...

OP
OP
Nex

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I have a by-pass rack and Kings on order. Will have to shorten up the exhaust for the dovetail, and I am already pretty deaf. Thanks uncle Sam. So I will be getting the headsets.