Raced a 2.7...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 2.3 is pretty stout for power in the RS, so the Ranger should move out pretty damn good in Ranger Raptor form. It won’t be a direct competitor to the F150 Raptor due to power and other mechanical “deficiencies”.

It may only get a diesel anyway...

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I imagine these huge tires must eat up a lot of performance ? I really expected to smoke him and I didn’t.

The tires eat up a lot of performance, the Raptor is also quite a bit heavier and then there's the added drag.

I had a free rental for a day while my Raptor was getting recall work done. Was really hoping for a 2.7EB since I've heard lots of good things about it. Ended up getting the V8. It was still fun to compare though. I do prefer the low-mid range grunt the EB engines produce compared to the NA V8

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tires eat up a lot of performance, the Raptor is also quite a bit heavier....

This ^^^^ The huge (relatively) tires and the 5700lb weight really are a "drag"! The tires(gearing) being the #1 detriment. If you switched tires with the 2.7 truck, you would kill it and see it in your rear-view mirror before 60 mph.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 2.3 is pretty stout for power in the RS, so the Ranger should move out pretty damn good in Ranger Raptor form. It won’t be a direct competitor to the F150 Raptor due to power and other mechanical “deficiencies”.

It may only get a diesel anyway...

You can already pre order a new Ranger. The only engine offering is the 2.3 eb. No diesels and worse yet, no manual transmission, just the stupid 10 speed auto...

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, tires, weight, and drag coefficient saps a lot of the power from the Raptor. Actually, a 2.7 Eco will beat a Gen 2 Raptor on the street - IIRC it is currently the fastest in the lineup. That is until the 2019 Limited hits the market, anyway.