Gen 2 Odyssey Battery PSA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-klutch-

Reaction score
I just replaced the factory battery in my Gen 2 (2018) and spent a good amount of time researching on this forum before doing so. I wanted to relay some things I learned along the way in case it helps others avoid my mistakes.

The Odyssey Extreme 950 CCA 65-PC1750T gets recommended a lot on this forum. Great battery.
The Odyssey Performance 723 CCA 48-720T is not mentioned on this forum at all (different types of searches turn up nothing) but it *is* the recommended battery for a Gen 2.

AutoZone and several other places that sell Odyssey will say the 65-PC1750 will not fit the Gen 2. Given all the people on here running that battery claiming it will fit and even some talking about mods to make it fit I wanted to mention that while it will fit and you *can* get the brace re-installed, the terminals are too long of a reach for the stock cables. Even detaching them from their mounts, the negative cable is still 2+ inchs too short. I didn't quite realize that all the people recommending this battery on here have a Gen 1 until I literally had the battery in the engine bay. So I'm an idiot for sure. Posting this for others like me.

Now, the 48-720T is recommended as one that fits (by the part pickers I've used) but it has ~80 less CCA than the factory battery (800) and it has a slightly smaller footprint. The weight is about the same. Had zero problems installing it as the terminals are on the correct side for Gen 2 fittament. AutoZone was cool about the swap for my mistake. Comes with a 4 year warranty.

I've had the battery for < 4 hours so I have no idea how it is going to perform long term in this truck. My 20 minute test drive went fine. Cobb AP showing 14.7V the whole time. Anyhow, just wanted to get some of those model numbers in here for those searching around. At this point if someone says "the reason there were no search returns for the 48-720T is because only a fool would put that in a Gen 2" I wouldn't be surprised, but would be interested in learning why. lol. Thanks. Carry on.

OP
OP
K

-klutch-

Reaction score
I originally did exactly what you suggested and went through Odyssey's website. I did pick the "King Ranch/Lariat" trim level as they had no "Raptor" option. The non-KingRanch recommendation is a different battery. During checkout I took the alternate flow of "buying local" and the only places near me that carried Odyssey were AutoZone. Each of their websites when searching for "ODP-AGM94R H7 L4" landed me on a product page for the 723 CCA 48-720T or something slightly different than the recommended one from Odyssey that you're running. Guessing that is a stock issue. That said, AutoZone's website and their in-store computer both confirm the 48-720T will "fit" in a 2018 Raptor. I don't really know what "fit" here means but I'm hoping it means more than just physically "fit." i.e. it has the appropriate electronic characteristics that the truck requires.

This is kind of a bummer. I guess I should have ordered online. That H7L4 looks like a much more appropriate battery. Given the somewhat sensitive or temperamental nature of the electronics in our trucks would you recommend returning the one I have in there now? I don't necessarily care about lower CCA or the lower reserve capacity. I'm in Wisconsin and it does get cold here but the truck is kept in a garage that doesn't drop below 45F most of the time. I'm mostly concerned about any kind of sensitive electronics not getting what they need when they need it.

Am I overthinking this?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I would definitely take it back and get the correct battery. I bought local and after 3 attempts at getting the right battery, I drove 90 minutes away and picked up the correct one.

Don't settle on a incorrect part.

OP
OP
K

-klutch-

Reaction score
I really appreciate your continued replies here. Seriously thanks. Before I pull it out of the truck I just want to confirm, *this* is the part we're calling "incorrect" right? (even though AutoZone says its "correct" whatever that means. Correct could just mean size/orientation in this case?)

1699733823759.png

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Hopefully the results post correctly. FWIW, I selected King Ranch, Platinum.

Screenshot_20231111_123130_Chrome.jpg

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also to add an H8 battery will fit our trucks without modification if you need the extra CCA or Reserve Capacity (The 3.0 Diesel came with it). Napa has 20% off Odyssey batteries if you have one near you which might save you a little:

H7

H8

Morgan

Reaction score
Is there a failing battery symptom that reveals itself before it gives up the ghost? (Trying to understand when I should replace the battery to avoid a surprise failure.)

Great thread, thanks for your notes. Could be a good sticky.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Is there a failing battery symptom that reveals itself before it gives up the ghost? (Trying to understand when I should replace the battery to avoid a surprise failure.)

Great thread, thanks for your notes. Could be a good sticky.

If you don't use the truck for a few days and it's in deep sleep mode, can't unlock with the key fob.