Question on power release tailgate warranty fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most of the guys with damage had it happen in their garage, like happened with me. You need a pretty long garage for the Raptor to be several feet away from the garage door and still have reasonable room in the front also.
Lucky I am not in that boat. Garage was built around crew cab long bed F350.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Let me know what you find out. Since my purchase in July ofnthis year my Oasis report has shown open 21M06.

It bugs me to have open things on my Oasis.

4 days ago i got letter from Fo MO Co that parts where now available and "if I have experienced unintended tailgate opening" to contact my dealer for repairs.

Says new tailgate handle release switch and BCM software update.
So I reviewed it and it’s actually quite an involved procedure. It seems like they wanted to address every possible scenario of an unintended tailgate release.

For 2015-2018 models, a prior FSA had the dealer install a jumper harness to isolate circuits that could short power to the tailgate release signal circuit. 2019/2020 models had the jumper harness from the factory. For all 2015-2020 models in 21M06, the BCM software is updated to require the vehicle to be in Park and the tailgate release button to be pressed twice consecutively for the BCM to actuate the release. They also have the dealer inspect the BCM for water intrusion/corrosion and make some wiring modifications to add a relay near the BCM.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I reviewed it and it’s actually quite an involved procedure. It seems like they wanted to address every possible scenario of an unintended tailgate release.

For 2015-2018 models, a prior FSA had the dealer install a jumper harness to isolate circuits that could short power to the tailgate release signal circuit. 2019/2020 models had the jumper harness from the factory. For all 2015-2020 models in 21M06, the BCM software is updated to require the vehicle to be in Park and the tailgate release button to be pressed twice consecutively for the BCM to actuate the release. They also have the dealer inspect the BCM for water intrusion/corrosion and make some wiring modifications to add a relay near the BCM.
When they update the BCM for something like that, would that write over the changes I made to stop the remote from opening the gate, and the Lincoln mirrors?

Last edited:

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score

You know, since about 2005 it has amazed me what they can do with a software update.

Back in 1988 to 1995 when an emissions recall required a "recalibration " we had to replace the entire PCM.

Come 1996 and OBD II, software updates came at us by the dozen

The best one ever, 1994 1/2 -1995 7.3 PSD left the factory with both EEC IV and OBD II connectors. EEC IV was live OBD II dead. In 1996 update was released to update all 7.3 PSD to OBD II diagnostics.

Truck would drive in with EEC IV diagnostics and leave with OBD II.

EEC IV was extremely limited in data.

With in about 10 minutes you went from next to no data to so much data you couldn't comprehend it.

You young guys have no idea how good you have it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. The only issue I had was 100% my fault when I accidentally hit the tailgate button on my fob. I was really lucky I had no damage when it opened against my garage door. I disabled that button shortly after with my Forskin.
yeah, who hasn’t done that trick?

I'm new to these trucks, but when mine opens, it lowers really slow. So if it hit a garage door, it would do nothing. Is that a normal thing?
working as designed, but you would be surprised at what a gentle laying of the gate onto some solid surface does to the paint, because the tailgate is heavy...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When they update the BCM for something like that, would that write over the changes I made to stop the remote from opening the gate, and the Lincoln mirrors?
Good question. The new software is a module update; the parameters you modified were the As-Built data. So I would think not, but I can’t say for sure.