Question about Coilovers vs Gussett's and bumps tops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerryballs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an itch and need to scratch. I am looking for my first suspension modification to my rig. My last truck had 3.0 kings and I loved them. I would like to do the king setup, but I am not sure if they are a "first" modiifcation. Should I be bracing the rear and getting bumps first? Or will the valving on the Kings help the G-out so frame bending isn't as much an issue? Is there a better place to put $4k?

Just incase you are wondering, yes this truck will go off road. We do 5-8 multiday desert trips a year and 2 baja trips.

Thanks!

Jerry

mictouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first week I got my Raptor I took it to Outlaw and got Deaver Springs and their FOX 2.0 Bump Stop Kit. I still feel it was the best thing I did. Since I've add a lot more goodies and am really enjoying my Raptor. I do suspension for a living and I've been working on re-valving the Factory FOX SVT Shocks. Yes, going to a 3.0 Shock - KING - ICON - FOX or? will be a great upgrade just for the fact that you are going to have a shock piston almost twice the size and more oil capacity that will help the dampening features, BUT will the rest of the Raptor start falling apart? This is something we all will learn in the near future. Even with re-valving the stock shocks I'm going through the really rough terrain at a much higher speed and it is really easy to hit the BIG HOLE at speed now! The new shocks or valving the FOX Factory Shocks will really help the Raptor's ride and it should help you from tearing things apart as long as you know the NEW Limits of what your truck can handle after the new suspension upgrades.

Just remember if you're hurting yourself or your passenger wants out after a ride through rough terrain then you're probably really hurting the truck as well...

OP
OP
J

Jerryballs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mictouch,

Thanks for the reply! So I guess for me its between doing the RPG Stage three and Arms for around $3k or doing kings and waiting for the RPG Stage 3. I just wanted to make sure my priorities were in the right places when it came to the importance of safety, longevity, and ride quality.

So what you are saying is that the kings are not as important as the bracing and bumps...Because even though you have more piston surface area, bending the frame is still a possiblity?

Thanks!

mictouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mictouch,

Thanks for the reply! So I guess for me its between doing the RPG Stage three and Arms for around $3k or doing kings and waiting for the RPG Stage 3. I just wanted to make sure my priorities were in the right places when it came to the importance of safety, longevity, and ride quality.

So what you are saying is that the kings are not as important as the bracing and bumps...Because even though you have more piston surface area, bending the frame is still a possiblity?

Thanks!

Yes, I am saying that I would look into a bump stop first. Just because we know of the frame bending issue. The Kings will for sure help dampening and I'm sure you will love the ride on and off road - KING knows what they are doing! I'm only minutes from KING and I know they have the Raptor shocks in their showroom. I have only seen two sets installed on Raptors. One being Connor's Raptor at Outlaw and the other being a guy in Brea, CA and his Raptor has never seen the dirt and his employee said that it will probably never see the dirt. It was sitting in his huge warehouse with a lot of other toys and it was on carpet pads and detailed like it was ready for a show! I look over posts on these forums almost every day and I have yet to run across anyone that has Kings or Icon shocks that are bragging how well they work! So, I think they are so new that we all have a lot to learn. I too would love to see others post some good video of their Raptors with aftermarket shocks going through whoops!

mictouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree with Mic...RPG stage 3 then 3.0's :waytogo:

Brian, That's NOT exactly what I said...

I SAID...
I would go for a Bump Stop kit first. (I have the Outlaw FOX 2.0) I didn't actually suggest one in particular. That is up to Jerry and his research.

I also said - I like my Stock FOX SVT Shocks Re-valved - that I did myself.

I said there is a lot to be learned about "Aftermarket" shocks for the Raptor.

He sounded like a KING Shock guy - so I reassured him that if that is the way he decided to go that I would think he would be happy with KING's reputation being so strong!

Gary

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bump Stop solves nothing and is a band aid to a engineering oversight by Ford. Heavy Duty Springs (mine are going in today when I get there) then a bigger shock that you can adjust (money well spent) to Slow The Mass down as it hurdles toward the frame lol.

Extreme cases will still need more but for the mortal truck not really.

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bump Stop solves nothing and is a band aid to a engineering oversight by Ford. Heavy Duty Springs (mine are going in today when I get there) then a bigger shock that you can adjust (money well spent) to Slow The Mass down as it hurdles toward the frame lol.

Extreme cases will still need more but for the mortal truck not really.

Do both so you can take even sweeter jumps.

;)

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Brian, That's NOT exactly what I said...

I SAID...
I would go for a Bump Stop kit first. (I have the Outlaw FOX 2.0) I didn't actually suggest one in particular. That is up to Jerry and his research.

I also said - I like my Stock FOX SVT Shocks Re-valved - that I did myself.

I said there is a lot to be learned about "Aftermarket" shocks for the Raptor.

He sounded like a KING Shock guy - so I reassured him that if that is the way he decided to go that I would think he would be happy with KING's reputation being so strong!

Gary

It was close enough ;) I took what you said and I ran with it!! I thought he had already decided on RPG and 3.0's but wasn't sure which order to purchase said products. I also didn't mention a particular 3.0 ;). I would agree that KING 3.0's are amazing...at least from what I have seen or heard. I would be more than thrilled to have a set on my truck!!