Quality Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottybs

Reaction score
40F32E5F-1E3D-4031-BD6B-71AA730BD1EE.jpeg6AD7B932-A96A-44DD-981A-09CAEFE41726.jpeg
Putting a center console safe in on my 23 and the “new” design compared to my 16 safe used self tapping screws into plastic. (works well right?) Anyways I’m having a steel sandwich plate with welded nuts fabricated similar to the old design that requires unbolting and lifting the rear of the center console. I noticed that left hand side had a ****** seating of the bolt but was able to remove with a short hand socket wrench no problem, moved to the right side and applied very little pressure to loosen the bolt and the right side head of the bolt snapped right off. My guess is the plant over torqued the damn bolt and weakened it to the point of failure. Now, do I sent it in for warranty so they can drill out and retap or leave it? Our local maintenance tends to mess up everything they touch.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can’t tell but it looks like you have plenty of shaft remaining to get vice grips on it or use an easy out. I’ve also used a tiny Dremel to put a slot in the shaft and used a flat head to turn it out. Maybe closer picture so we can see it better.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They wouldn’t re- tap it, the threads haven’t been damaged. They would drill the bolt some and use a left handed bit to remove the bolt. The Dremel with small cut off wheel to make a slot for a screwdriver has saved me a few times. Like “surf raptor” suggested. it should work for ya. Either way, I’d do it my self. wouldn’t take to dealer for something so simple. I’m sure you could handle it :)

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I installed the same console safe but didn't have that bolt break off thankfully. You will love the safe. It's a perfect size and you still have storage for everything else on the other side. I think I understand. Its the top bolt of the console lid. Let us know if you were able to get it out.

OP
OP
scottybs

scottybs

Reaction score
I installed the same console safe but didn't have that bolt break off thankfully. You will love the safe. It's a perfect size and you still have storage for everything else on the other side. I think I understand. Its the top bolt of the console lid. Let us know if you were able to get it out.
Its the lower bolt bear the bottom of the center console near the seat track. Did you mod yours to put a sandwich plate in requiring prying and lifting the bottom up a bit from the floor? The 15-20 model does that, I wasn’t happy with the self tapping.

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 402067View attachment 402068
Putting a center console safe in on my 23 and the “new” design compared to my 16 safe used self tapping screws into plastic. (works well right?) Anyways I’m having a steel sandwich plate with welded nuts fabricated similar to the old design that requires unbolting and lifting the rear of the center console. I noticed that left hand side had a ****** seating of the bolt but was able to remove with a short hand socket wrench no problem, moved to the right side and applied very little pressure to loosen the bolt and the right side head of the bolt snapped right off. My guess is the plant over torqued the damn bolt and weakened it to the point of failure. Now, do I sent it in for warranty so they can drill out and retap or leave it? Our local maintenance tends to mess up everything they touch.
do you have a pic or info on this "steel sandwich plate" and/or the install? I would like to do something similar. I went with 1/4 longer screws but feel it could still be quickly ripped out.
Thanks