PSA...make sure you wait for the shift from 2wd to AWD to complete before you pull into traffic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The roads were wet and traffic was crazy when I wanted to pull out of a parking lot onto a 4 lane (2 each way) road. I saw a gap coming, but it would be tight, so I rotated the dial from 2wd to Awd. The gap came just as I looked up so I went for it.

Apparently the transfer case had not finished doing what it needed to do, as when I pulled out I had a very lot THUNK and felt a pop as Awd engaged.

Dont think I did any damage, but it did get my attention to slow down a little and never shift to Awd when on power.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
+1. This is rare, and you have to be pretty quick to make it happen. My local range has a looooooooooong dirt road driveway that can get pretty rough for a peasant car, as they dawdle at about 5-10 mph, not wanting to scrape any parts you know :rolleyes: Fortunately Raptor Privilege allows highway speeds.

I was in a bit of a hurry to get out ahead of one of the peasant-mobiles, and exercise my off road lights, so I fired up the truck, tabbed to sport, grabbed the transfer case and dialed to 4a, put into D and pulled out of my parking space in a 90 degree left turn.

Lurch - lurch - lurch... paused a little, then took off in 4a like nothing was wrong.

Usually I like to give the truck “90’s Exploder” time to effect the transfer case update - that is, about 5 seconds or more. I don’t know how fast it really is, but yeah, you can definitely be too quick on the throttle.

And yeah, I did beat the peasants out of the parking lot so I could light up the ~ .75 mile long dirt road :cool:

smurfslayer

Reaction score
One day I was driving mine home from work, got about a block down the road, fired up the heater and smoke started billowing in the cabin. I mean “H*ly $hit, this thing is on fire” smoke. I pulled over and a thousand thoughts are running through my mind:

1) crap, it’s on fire
2) how am I going to put this out.
3) F*** that, get out of the burning truck!
4) Great, now I’m going to be on the 6 o’clock news for a car-b-que
5) man I hope I didn’t cause an accident diving over to the shoulder
6) man, I hope nobody runs into me (by now, I’ve abandoned ship and am barely on the shoulder. In rush hour.)
7) crap, I forgot to turn it off
8) F*** that, I’m not going to the burn unit
9) oh what the hell
10) hey, where did the smoke go.
11) maybe it’s not on fire anymore

Nope, it wasn’t. so I creep back over - I’d run right away from it after shutting the ignition off turn it on, boom - smoke. I turn the heater off, because that’s where the smoke is coming from and ... it stops.

It turned out I’d collected a few seasons worth of leaves in the are that leads into the heater blower and that’s where the smoke was coming from. That was an exciting and eventful truck. My personal fav was when the heater core went out, on the coldest day in years; -2F. I had to get to work and then my mechanic. At times there was so much window fog, I had to put my head out the window. Damn that was cold.

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My personal fav was when the heater core went out, on the coldest day in years; -2F. I had to get to work and then my mechanic. At times there was so much window fog, I had to put my head out the window. Damn that was cold.

I had an 82 Mustang GT when I was 16 and the heater core was leaking inside the passenger footwell.

It was summer, so I just bypassed it in the engine compartment. No big deal. When winter came, I got tired of being cold so I reconnected the heater core thinking I could deal with a small leak until I had time and money to fix it.

Heat came on, slight smell of antifreeze. All was good. Until my first trip to redline on a hot engine, blew a hole in the leak. Windshield fogged up on the highway, carpet was soaked.

Got towed to a shop and $750 later I had a new heater core.

Lucky for me, I worked at a car wash and was able to get the carpets cleaned.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did it give you a message in the DIC? Once or twice it has reminded me something to the effect of “don’t use throttle during 4x4 shift” not exactly those words but something like that. It was when I was accelerating probably more than 1/3 throttle & simultaneously putting it into 4a - I could see how it wouldn’t like it w/ 4H but what’s weird is it seems like it’ll do the shift & not make a fuss under very light throttle or obviously w/ no throttle at seemingly any speed….although I tend to refrain from going into 4a over 45mph, doesn’t seem to make much a difference.

On both my 18 & my ‘20 I’ve had the truck in 4a in wet conditions TC off & made hard pulls where the front wheels are getting power into triple digits (offroad or in Mexico of course :) only for a short clip

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1. This is rare, and you have to be pretty quick to make it happen. My local range has a looooooooooong dirt road driveway that can get pretty rough for a peasant car, as they dawdle at about 5-10 mph, not wanting to scrape any parts you know :rolleyes: Fortunately Raptor Privilege allows highway speeds.

I was in a bit of a hurry to get out ahead of one of the peasant-mobiles, and exercise my off road lights, so I fired up the truck, tabbed to sport, grabbed the transfer case and dialed to 4a, put into D and pulled out of my parking space in a 90 degree left turn.

Lurch - lurch - lurch... paused a little, then took off in 4a like nothing was wrong.

Usually I like to give the truck “90’s Exploder” time to effect the transfer case update - that is, about 5 seconds or more. I don’t know how fast it really is, but yeah, you can definitely be too quick on the throttle.

And yeah, I did beat the peasants out of the parking lot so I could light up the ~ .75 mile long dirt road :cool:
So you beat the peasant out of the parking lot! But please tell us that it was at speed and all he saw was a cloud of dust!

smurfslayer

Reaction score
A cloud of dust the Lone Ranger himself would have been proud to call his own, I assure you. :)