PSA....change out your factory lug nuts before it is too late 31k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake226

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s several threads on here bout the lug nut issue. Consensus is the stock nuts are crap. Gorilla’s come in 2nd as a few members had problems with them (2 experienced cracks in the Gorillas), and McGards came in 1st with no issues reported. Summit Racing historically had the best prices for McGards but I haven’t checked recently.

This^^

Had to recently swap the lug nuts on our JK Rubicon Bc Jeep also uses the crap two piece lug nut design. Wife got a flat and one of the caps separated on us. Jeep ended up being stranded for a few hours while I ran home to get some tools. After that fiasco I picked up a black spline drive locking mcguard set from Summit with a new breaker bar. Total with the bar and locking set was around 50-60% of the mcguard msrp.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's the link to Deez Nuts in Black thread. I went with the Mcguards from Summit Racing since I saw a few guys that had issues with Gorilla's. I changed out my stock lug nuts with only 500 miles on my truck, so I can't say anything about how they held up. I wanted black ones to go with my Magnetic wheels anyway.
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/black-lug-nuts.68273/

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep, already swapped mine out at around 33k miles, even then, they were a bit swollen and had to use an over sized socket

Raptor50

Reaction score
after much research, I ordered the Gorilla vs McGard because the Gorilla lug nuts are shorter then McGard. For my Velgen wheels I didn't like how the longer lugs stuck out too far. Curious now to see if i have any problems with the Gorilla Lug Nuts. Still debating if I should have tried black vs chrome, really would have liked a gray or brushed lug, but no such luck.

IMG_4324.JPG

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same issue

My 2017 lug nuts swelled from the 21mm to 22mm
A few were even 23mm!

Imagine not being able to change your tire, out in the middle of no where, because the stock socket is 21mm

I now have gorilla lug nuts

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh boy, I didn't know our lug nuts are the 2 piece design. Definitely swapping them out now! Any idea if the McGard's work with aftermarket wheels? I'm running the stock bead locks for now but it would be nice if I changed the rims out down the road not needing a new set of lug nuts.

Also looking at Summit racing site apparently McGard has 2 that work.

64074 - Shorter and 22mm socket
64022 - Longer and 21mm socket (stock wrench size)

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
after much research, I ordered the Gorilla vs McGard because the Gorilla lug nuts are shorter then McGard. For my Velgen wheels I didn't like how the longer lugs stuck out too far. Curious now to see if i have any problems with the Gorilla Lug Nuts. Still debating if I should have tried black vs chrome, really would have liked a gray or brushed lug, but no such luck.

View attachment 148659
I personally think your chose correctly, the black lugs would stick out with your rims.

Rollofire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve used Gorilla lug nuts on my last truck with Zero issues, just replaced with Gorilla now after 10,000 miles. They seem to be fine so far.