Prospective Buyer - need some advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WEJER

Reaction score
Hi All,

Hoping to be joining the Raptor club soon. Needing to buy a new truck before winter hits here in the northeast. I've been lurking in forums and Facebook groups to learn as much about these trucks as I can before purchasing. I'm leaning towards a used 2020 mainly due to the live Fox shocks as well as the supposedly less common cam phaser issues with this model year. I've read somewhere that the cam phasers were updated on Raptors that were built post 11/2019. Is this true? Should I narrow my search to look for trucks built after Nov 2019?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to being in one soon.

Jake

Suggest somehow… someway test drive both a Gen2 Raptor and also RAM TRX.

Good luck and enjoy shopping.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne how does 21B10 have nothing to do with oil pressure when literally diagnosis of eligibility for 21b10 has tech disconnect the variable oil pump sensor? can you provide us any data on your claim of it only effects the duty cycles of the phasers?
This is a perfect example of why the technical service bulletins and technical section of recalls are proprietary, and are not public facing.

You posted screen clippings, completely out of context, from a prior version of the recall that was superseded last year and is no longer valid.

duff49

Reaction score
Lol I certainly know how a phaser operates, I’m just really interested in you exposing how the duty cycles have nothing to do with oil pressure programming. Hard to do when they indeed work on what…

duff49

Reaction score
Why the **** do you care about cam phasers so much?
the original post was a recommendation post, i recommeded a later build due to the upgraded phasers, solely just one reason, but it is a reason and my personal. I also gave my opinion on why the old style phasers and recall is a band aid.. there's your answer. anything else you want to know? did you give a recommendation?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Not every FRF wants actual help or information. Some people just want to win an internet fight.

Moving on...
I just drove my Raptor. No cam phaser rattle, no any rattle for that matter, until I got off road and started winding it up and I did have some stuff I didn’t secure bounce around a bit. I can genuinely say I didn’t have a single concern about the truck other than ‘What will I mod next?’

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol I certainly know how a phaser operates, I’m just really interested in you exposing how the duty cycles have nothing to do with oil pressure programming. Hard to do when they indeed work on what…
The only thing you’re exposing is that you not only don’t understand the issue you brought up, but also have no business even discussing it. It’s become obvious that you’re more interested in arguing than actually discussing pertinent or factual information. There is no such thing as having an “opinion” on facts; that’s called being wrong.

VCT duty cycle is controlled by the PCM calibration. Even if the new calibration required a change to the oil pump strategy for additional volume to support a higher phaser duty cycle, it’s still completely unrelated to the root cause.

And to double back, the screen clips of the early version of 21B10 show your desperation to try and justify the ridiculous statements and claims you’ve made throughout this thread. You’re grasping at straws because you can’t just admit that you don’t have the slightest clue what you’re talking about.

duff49

Reaction score
"VCT duty cycle is controlled by the PCM calibration. Even if the new calibration required a change to the oil pump strategy for additional volume to support a higher phaser duty cycle, it’s still completely unrelated to the root cause."

Im not the one double backing, a vct is a mechanical part controlled by VCT Oil Control Solenoids with yes signals from the PCM. 21b10 changes oil pressure to the VCT, so yes even if. And to state that there will always be noise if "any" wear is present to that locking cavity is about as retarded of a postion as the old style vct wants to be in. everything ive said about the 11/2019 builds with the updated phasers is true, its superior hence why even you said FORD doesnt offer those junk phasers anymore.