proper method to fill a shock with nitrogen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I searched and came up empty...if theres a thread out there please direct me.

I'm wondering what the correct method and tools are needed to fill a fox 3.0 shock with nitrogen.
thanks in advance.

Marc

edited to include shock type

Last edited:

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've seen it done once. It's not something you want to play around with unless you know what your doing. At over 200 psi, if your not careful, you could do some serious damaged. Are you trying to rebuild your own shocks?

OP
OP
rap67

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen it done once. It's not something you want to play around with unless you know what your doing. At over 200 psi, if your not careful, you could do some serious damaged. Are you trying to rebuild your own shocks?

thanks, not rebuild. when the shocks arrived the hoses were tightened and facing the wrong way which prohibited the installation of the remote reservoir...so I was told to loosen, very little, the bolts on the shock fitting and spin the hose. it went just fine but I thought I heard some hissing on the passenger side shock when i was doing it and I wanted to put a gauge on it to check and be prepared to fill it if needed.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Set nitrogen regulator to a little over 200 psi 210 or so. Charge shocks like filling a tire. Dont **** with checking the pressure, those gauges always lose a bunch of pressure.

Odds are you lost all of your pressure, they don't have a lot of volume of nitrogen in them to begin with.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
thanks, not rebuild. when the shocks arrived the hoses were tightened and facing the wrong way which prohibited the installation of the remote reservoir...so I was told to loosen, very little, the bolts on the shock fitting and spin the hose. it went just fine but I thought I heard some hissing on the passenger side shock when i was doing it and I wanted to put a gauge on it to check and be prepared to fill it if needed.

So, your talking about 3.0's. I thought you meant the stock shocks. It may be easier on the 3.0's because they are designed to be adjusted. With the stock shocks you need special tools. I would contact the manufacturer. Good luck.

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, your talking about 3.0's. I thought you meant the stock shocks. It may be easier on the 3.0's because they are designed to be adjusted. With the stock shocks you need special tools. I would contact the manufacturer. Good luck.

The stockers just use a needle style adapter, easy enough to buy.
The 3.0's are standard Schraeder valves, like a tire stem.
You need a nitrogen source, regulator and a screw on style adapter for the Schraeder valve.
I picked up one of these, works great: N2 Shock Inflator Kit - 400 PSI

OP
OP
rap67

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score

yea, sorry my OP didn't say so.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Set nitrogen regulator to a little over 200 psi 210 or so. Charge shocks like filling a tire. Dont **** with checking the pressure, those gauges always lose a bunch of pressure.

Odds are you lost all of your pressure, they don't have a lot of volume of nitrogen in them to begin with.

thank you!

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

So you would not recommend checking the shocks often with a no loss gauge like the one mentioned above?

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

OP
OP
rap67

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got the nitrogen yesterday, got the regulator and fox shock filler today and checked and filled all the shocks.

both fronts were low, 160 and 175 before refill. both rears were the same at 210

very easy thing to do with the right tools.

thanks for the info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc