GEN 1 Shock Rebuild Tutorial?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ESPcoatings

Reaction score
Is there a tutorial that everyone generally agrees is the 'best' in regard to rebuilding Gen 1 Fox Shocks? I've seen a bunch but figured it was worth asking in the spirit of 'I can't know what I don't know'. In the sense that I have no way of knowing if what I've seen so far has failed to mention a key point, I wanted to use more heads than just mine to avoid mistakes.

I have the nitrogen, spring compressors, etc. I'll need a couple tools probably (like the bullet) but I know how to use a wrench. I've rebuilt some dirt bike shocks but for some reason I feel like these aren't as simple. Maybe just over thinking that...

I wouldn't mind any advice whether it be in regard to the process OR parts. If you know of a 'go to' place for the parts that are needed, I'd love to hear about it too. If you've done it and have a reason not to tackle it on my own, please relay that as well if you're willing to. I don't mind being talked out of bad ideas.

The big reason I am thinking about doing them myself is because I want to clean them up and Cerakote/Powder coat them for a new look. If I do wind up doing them myself I'll post up what I do to them as well.

I know about Rock Auto and their pricing. I'm leaning toward buying new through them but I'm entertaining doing a rebuild now as well. Might buy new and then rebuild what's on there now afterward as well. The only issue with new ones is I really want the Schrader valve added to them and as far as I know new ones won't come equipped with those. I assume that adding them to new shocks would be a bit of work and void the warranty anyway so that seems like a detractors. Maybe I'm wrong about that?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.
Any and all qualified advice is greatly appreciated but I don't need any more 'maybe's' in my head. I'm full of the 'what if's' already (always, Ugh) . I'm great at overthinking on my own.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a tutorial that everyone generally agrees is the 'best' in regard to rebuilding Gen 1 Fox Shocks? I've seen a bunch but figured it was worth asking in the spirit of 'I can't know what I don't know'. In the sense that I have no way of knowing if what I've seen so far has failed to mention a key point, I wanted to use more heads than just mine to avoid mistakes.

I have the nitrogen, spring compressors, etc. I'll need a couple tools probably (like the bullet) but I know how to use a wrench. I've rebuilt some dirt bike shocks but for some reason I feel like these aren't as simple. Maybe just over thinking that...

I wouldn't mind any advice whether it be in regard to the process OR parts. If you know of a 'go to' place for the parts that are needed, I'd love to hear about it too. If you've done it and have a reason not to tackle it on my own, please relay that as well if you're willing to. I don't mind being talked out of bad ideas.

The big reason I am thinking about doing them myself is because I want to clean them up and Cerakote/Powder coat them for a new look. If I do wind up doing them myself I'll post up what I do to them as well.

I know about Rock Auto and their pricing. I'm leaning toward buying new through them but I'm entertaining doing a rebuild now as well. Might buy new and then rebuild what's on there now afterward as well. The only issue with new ones is I really want the Schrader valve added to them and as far as I know new ones won't come equipped with those. I assume that adding them to new shocks would be a bit of work and void the warranty anyway so that seems like a detractors. Maybe I'm wrong about that?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.
Any and all qualified advice is greatly appreciated but I don't need any more 'maybe's' in my head. I'm full of the 'what if's' already (always, Ugh) . I'm great at overthinking on my own.
Inwould just pick one and jump back and forth and find the best one.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is all you need, specifically how to use the bypass tube to set the floating piston in place, it's genius. I know pics are missing in the early (like, old) posts and it's a ton of pages long but I have a few pics on there and have the pdf's saved if anyone needs em.

They are cake if you've done pretty much any other shock, if you already have the nitrogen setup and spring compressor you're damn near set. Yes the bullet is very helpful, snag one of those, also a set of vise soft jaws is handy. I made a holder for the piston by welding a rod to a flat plate but it isn't necessary, but that wooden stick is haha!

+1 on Kartek for parts, also check out Schmidty for tools/parts (they used to sell on ebay a lot). Good luck!