Pro Power Onboard – 2KW - Dual Alternators and Horsepower

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The additional drag an alternator puts out is effectively equivalent to converting it's output in watts to horsepower, to say that alternators have effectively no drag is not exactly correct since the load it puts on the engine changes depending on it's output at the time. The 2022 is rated at 450hp at peak which is about 335.56 kw so (completely ignoring a million other factors) a 2 kw system would be a loss of about a half of a percent of peak total power, if you're using it going down the highway and the truck is only using 50hp to maintain it's speed then it's a larger percentage parasitic draw.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The additional drag an alternator puts out is effectively equivalent to converting it's output in watts to horsepower, to say that alternators have effectively no drag is not exactly correct since the load it puts on the engine changes depending on it's output at the time. The 2022 is rated at 450hp at peak which is about 335.56 kw so (completely ignoring a million other factors) a 2 kw system would be a loss of about a half of a percent of peak total power, if you're using it going down the highway and the truck is only using 50hp to maintain it's speed then it's a larger percentage parasitic draw.
So, do you think somebody is going to be driving their vehicle with all of these power outlets and generator in use? I thought the idea was for home remodeling projects, camping and contractors using the power outlets while the truck sat idling? Or are you guys thinking that you're going to let your wives use the outlets for blow drying their hair while you drive to Starbucks to get her a skinny vanilla latte? Anybody that is worrying about hp loss while driving wont let their ho-bag use the power outlets unless its to charge your phone, the trucks come with enough entertainment info center as is.

KevoUsmc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, do you think somebody is going to be driving their vehicle with all of these power outlets and generator in use? I thought the idea was for home remodeling projects, camping and contractors using the power outlets while the truck sat idling? Or are you guys thinking that you're going to let your wives use the outlets for blow drying their hair while you drive to Starbucks to get her a skinny vanilla latte? Anybody that is worrying about hp loss while driving wont let their ho-bag use the power outlets unless its to charge your phone, the trucks come with enough entertainment info center as is.
Hahaha exactly! Even if Starbucks looses power you can plug their fapochino machine into the truck

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly at this point I would believe anything, it was hard to tell from OP what they meant when they asked about hp loss if it was just from it being there idling on the front of the motor or during use for whatever.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cordless power tools that you may need for changing tires. camping Equiptment. or a compressor to reinflate said tires. maybe a welder for you extreme guys. lots of options but why would you think you need it to be only used when driving. I thought I read there is a second battery because the power is pulled from that battery. when in generator mode. the truck doesn't need to run. when the power in that battery depletes enough the truck starts to keep giving you power and to recharge the battery. I could be wrong I have no experience with an onboard generator. but thats just what I gathered from what I read.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
cordless power tools that you may need for changing tires. camping Equiptment. or a compressor to reinflate said tires. maybe a welder for you extreme guys. lots of options but why would you think you need it to be only used when driving. I thought I read there is a second battery because the power is pulled from that battery. when in generator mode. the truck doesn't need to run. when the power in that battery depletes enough the truck starts to keep giving you power and to recharge the battery. I could be wrong I have no experience with an onboard generator. but thats just what I gathered from what I read.
Hey, that is totally possible as well, we all know that you lose 2 volts without the vehicle running, so how is this generator operating? I think it is more of an invertor and the truck may need to be operating to power anything high wattage use. I'm no expert either. We will all figure it before Ford , lol.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched some videos on it. It was a bit confusing because some say it didn't run until needed and others never mentioned it. Going to actually find more info, for curiosity sake.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford Website says this

The Benefits:​

Pro Power Onboard is a more sophisticated, integrated solution than a traditional generator. With tech-safe precautions and ground-fault detection, you can hook up your most essential tools on the worksite or be the talk of the tailgate when watching the big game.

How It Works:​

On PowerBoost™ full hybrid models, the truck’s battery supplies power until it’s depleted, then the gasoline engine kicks on to top off the battery. On pure gas models, the engine is always running to power the system.

With a full tank of gas, the available 7.2kW Pro Power Onboard can run at max power output for 32 hours. The available 2.4kW version is capable of 85 hours at max power for the same amount of gas† You can always monitor your power usage through the center touchscreen or the FordPass™ App.
†Assumes 30°C [86°F] ambient temperature with AC off. Actual operating time per tank varies with conditions such as external elements and vehicle condition.
Learn more about the available F-150 features in the FordPass App to get started.

They also list what types of tools and other accessories and how much power each consumes to give you an idea what you can run.