Premium vs Regular... With some science this time!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to see what the raptor makes on regular vs premium. For the mustang GT it was published as 1 perc ent so about 4 hp. Not worth it. I imagine it’s a bit more with the raptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck's mileage seems to vary more on WHERE I buy my gas than the grade of gas. So I'm more worried about the source of the gas and it's refinement/additives. I've tried different stations, but haven't reached a consensus yet. The worst gas mileage I got was from Shell, and the best from Exxon, with Racetrack about midway, all with the same grade.

One thing that concerns me is the age of higher grade gases at the various stations. Regular gas is certainly fresh as it's the highest seller, but how long has that mid-grade (89) been sitting in that storage tank? And does high grade (93) outsell mid-grade? Or maybe the gas is just mixed at the pump, I don't know.

All I know is that my Raptor has a drinking problem, so lately I've been trying ethanol-free at Wawa. :biggrin:

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depends. Mine was @MSRP with $0 deposit.

Now you are comparing apples to oranges (asking price vs negotiated price). Your CL ads are asking price, so what is the average asking ADM by you? Given all the complaining from prospective Texas buyers on this forum, sounds like the ADMs are still pretty steep in big Texas cities.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck's mileage seems to vary more on WHERE I buy my gas than the grade of gas. So I'm more worried about the source of the gas and it's refinement/additives. I've tried different stations, but haven't reached a consensus yet. The worst gas mileage I got was from Shell, and the best from Exxon, with Racetrack about midway, all with the same grade.

One thing that concerns me is the age of higher grade gases at the various stations. Regular gas is certainly fresh as it's the highest seller, but how long has that mid-grade (89) been sitting in that storage tank? And does high grade (93) outsell mid-grade? Or maybe the gas is just mixed at the pump, I don't know.

All I know is that my Raptor has a drinking problem, so lately I've been trying ethanol-free at Wawa. :biggrin:

Several of the stations around here have ethanol free premium... usually about 25 cents more than regular. Seeing as how the Raptor is not supposed to be flex-fuel capable, I'd imagine the 10+% ethanol in most regular fuels could cause some harm in the long run. FWIW, I use premium. Usually Texaco.

tmd11111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several of the stations around here have ethanol free premium... usually about 25 cents more than regular. Seeing as how the Raptor is not supposed to be flex-fuel capable, I'd imagine the 10+% ethanol in most regular fuels could cause some harm in the long run. FWIW, I use premium. Usually Texaco.

Only one place in my town with ethanol free fuel. Its 89 octane and last week when I got some for my boat it was $3.39 a gallon. No way in hell I'm wasting it in my EB

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just run premium, not for the little bit it does for performance and MPG, the real value is knowing I will leave my wife and kids with less money.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

PS. The winter blends suck, no matter what you run.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not only that, but I keep seeing that premium is generally cleaner/higher quality than regular. Any truth to this or is it just octane rating?

premium is vastly cleaner than regular , if you keep you vehicles a long time your smart to use 91