Premium vs Regular... With some science this time!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The same argument applies to the Raptor vs XLT. The XLT does 99.9% of the things the Raptor does, yet everyone here spent 2x as much for a Raptor to get that extra 0.1%.

That makes sense.

Guess I will just start using $10 per/gal 104 octane racing fuel then.

tmd11111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not a good reference for the tt raptor. The raptor makes 17% more power than the 150, where do you think they are getting that power from? Certainly more boost and timing, so then the raptor is going to benefit more from premium fuel than the standard f150.
Also premium does not cost 20% more, it's about 10%
So for instance, in my 6.2 (yes unlike most of the bench players chiming in i try to back it up) i see an 8% gain in fuel economy with premium vs regular (for a net 2% loss) HOWEVER with the 6.2 the power on premium is 411 vs 400 on reg so really there's my 2% that "I'm paying for" not to mention, premium fuels are just that. Premium. Meaning less carbon buildup among other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe 10% cost difference by you but in my neck of the woods it's about a 25% difference in cost from 87 to 91 (93's not available here). As for the difference in economy I haven't seen a noticeable difference between the two in the 2500 miles I've put on my truck so far. I even checked the difference between 87 and 91 while towing my boat. No difference there either.
I guess if I had a Pedal Commander to make me think my truck has more power and always drove in Sport mode I'd consider it.

Last edited:

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just do me a favor. All of you NOT running premium gas, please put an asterisk in your description of your truck as you describe it to others. Something like this would suffice..

"And it would get the advertised 450HP if it didn't retard the timing due to the regular gas I use."

D

Deleted member 12951

Video doesn’t change my mind on the use of gas. To me running premium isn’t worth for daily driving around town or long road trips. Premium around my parts is a 33% increase over regular

f0b57ff77a147cac63fb328555693fdc.jpg
df2af817ffc972e8f4bf8613d975ace5.jpg

I run premium when I off-road. And on those occasions when I do just decide to splurge, they is absolutely no fuel savings whatsoever, shit I am more in the gas and burning it up when premium is in it and the pedal commander isn’t helping matter either, lol

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That makes sense.

Guess I will just start using $10 per/gal 104 octane racing fuel then.

If your truck was tuned to run 104 octane, then that would be a good idea. But a stock Raptor is optimized for 91 so you won't see a difference. But lucky for you Ford engineers were smart enough to include a retard tune because they knew knuckleheads would use cheap gas and Ford didn't want to pay for your warranty repairs.

If anyone with an 802 wants to know when higher octane fuel is beneficial, change your transmission temperature to the turbo gauge. Anytime the turbo pressure is above 0, your truck would be producing more power and consuming less fuel if you were using premium.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

Really. I'd love to see those depreciation stats. I know the used market around me is certainly NOTHING close to what you claim.

First year depreciation is typically between 10 and 20%. On the Raptor that would be between $7k and $14k for most builds.

If you bought the Raptor assuming it won't depreciate, you are going to have a bad time. Ford made more G2s in 8 months than they did in any year of G1 production. These new Raptors are going to depreciate just like any other mass produced vehicle.

Let's flip the question around, how much would you be willing to pay for a 1 year old Raptor with 12k miles on it? Most dealers are selling for MSRP these days, so obviously less than that right?

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you bought the Raptor assuming it won't depreciate, you are going to have a bad time. Ford made more G2s in 8 months than they did in any year of G1 production. These new Raptors are going to depreciate just like any other mass produced vehicle.

Let's flip the question around, how much would you be willing to pay for a 1 year old Raptor with 12k miles on it? Most dealers are selling for MSRP these days, so obviously less than that right?

I bought my 2nd Raptor because I wanted to, have plenty of disposable income, and don't care about depreciation.

That said, the used market around here is still extremely high, as you saw in the links I posted. Doesn't help a lot of dealers are still asking over MSRP.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just do me a favor. All of you NOT running premium gas, please put an asterisk in your description of your truck as you describe it to others. Something like this would suffice..

"And it would get the advertised 450HP if it didn't retard the timing due to the regular gas I use."

I couldnt handle 450 HP!

The 440 I get with regular gas is all I need.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I couldnt handle 450 HP!

The 440 I get with regular gas is all I need.

11 HP difference was on the regular F-150 work truck. Higher compression and more aggressive tune on the Raptor mean the difference is more likely in the 30 to 40 hp range.