Premium vs Regular... With some science this time!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PAW RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I go with the 91 premium. We don't have 93 here. I usually go with Safeway for gas. I have 3 teenage boys so I have big food bills meaning I almost always get the max $1 off per gallon when I have to let the big boy drink. With the 35 gallon tank, I am always maxing out the 25 gallon limit on that too. I filled up with 91 premium last night at $1.78 per gallon with my $1 off.

OP
OP
J

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Five Facts of Using Premium vs. Regular Gas - TrueCar Blog

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-cars-blog/2016/08/premium-vs-regular-gasoline

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/articles/premium-gas-when-and-why/

None of those sources support the claim that Premium fuel has "cleaner" properties than Regular.

For the record, I do run premium exclusively, but not for it's "cleaning" properties, but because when I floor my car, I want all she's got when I floor it, not at my next fill up.

allenfrx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the engine is designed for 87 it will run clean on 87.

I run my cars on what ever the owners manual recommends which with most of my cars is 91 oct premium and i run 93, pretty much all year long because I'm known to run full throttle to the rev limiter pretty often in my sports cars. Come to think of it i am sure i could run 91 on my sports cars at sea level in winter.....

If however my manual calls for 87...i run 87. I might run 89 or 91 in June to September ie.....hot weather.

My trucks rarely see much above 5,000 rpm....rarely much above 4,000.5ffba4b9329d8b8a9d154d2fbc497aa0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the engine is designed for 87 it will run clean on 87.

I run my cars on what ever the owners manual recommends which with most of my cars is 91 oct premium and i run 93, pretty much all year long because I'm known to run full throttle to the rev limiter pretty often in my sports cars. Come to think of it i am sure i could run 91 on my sports cars at sea level in winter.....

If however my manual calls for 87...i run 87. I might run 89 or 91 in June to September ie.....hot weather.

My trucks rarely see much above 5,000 rpm....rarely much above 4,000.5ffba4b9329d8b8a9d154d2fbc497aa0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Octane is important during periods high boost regardless of the RPMs.